Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

New Brakes, but violent shake

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Default New Brakes, but violent shake

Hey Guys, we'ard issue here. My car had developed a stuck piston in the calipers. So I figure it'd be a good time for a brake job, because the car was shaking upon braking. Originally I thought it was the rotors, then I found it was the calipers. But to not take chances I decided to change the pads, rotors and calipers.

However, I'm still getting some serious shaking over 60mphs. Slower that that, it's not that significant, but at highway speeds it's nuts! Any ideas?

-=Anthony=-

Old 07-30-2008, 01:28 AM
Default RE: New Brakes, but violent shake

My 03 LS is doing the same thing pretty much....I diagnosed it initially as the wheel bearig/hub assembly. You may want to try looking at that...and maybe checking the tie rod ends...just to be sure. Maybe you got a defective part somewhere??

Old 07-30-2008, 04:00 AM

Hi Anthony

Sorry to read about your problems with your Monte Carlo

I've heard that sometimes replacement rotors can be warped
Who did the install of parts ? How many miles on your Monte ?

Have you had the front end, suspension, struts etc checked

If you or your mechanical associates can not fine the problem
I would suggest going to the experts

I would not gamble with my safety with shaking at higher speed

Wish you good luck on your solution to problems with your Monte
and in Life

Please let us know what the problem was and what repairs were
done to correct the problem

Old 07-30-2008, 06:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Like space said, sometimes replacement rotors can be warped. I had front rotors and pads put on my old 93 f150 and not more than a couple miles down the road, they were shaking horribly, and the more I drove it, the worse they got. Finally I took it back to the mechanic who replaced them and he diagnosed it as a bad rotor on the drivers side. It was so bad that there was a visible difference between the high and low spots on the rotor.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:43 PM

Hey guys, I generally do all the work on my car. It has new KYB all around, they've been on for a few months now with no issues. I replaced both outer tie rods, and had the car aligned months ago, so nothing there.

I'm going to try and replace the rotors again. And then balance the tires.

Anyone think this could be steering shaft related???

Old 08-06-2008, 07:58 PM

My 06 does the same thing...just one of the many issues I am having with this dissapointment of a vehicle.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:14 PM

Well as it turns out, I torn everything down again, and noticed something. The rotors were DIFFERENT. Autozone gave me 2 different rotors. though they were both labeled the same. Both were 12IN rotors, but one had a different vent pattern and was thinner than the other. I once again replaced the pad and rotors and good as new.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:24 PM

thats why you go to advanced auto parts and not autozone.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:39 PM

well if ya need i still have the manuals here for the 6th gens lol
hope it clears up for ya

Old 08-13-2008, 09:28 PM

ORIGINAL: White05LT

Well as it turns out, I torn everything down again, and noticed something. The rotors were DIFFERENT. Autozone gave me 2 different rotors. though they were both labeled the same. Both were 12IN rotors, but one had a different vent pattern and was thinner than the other. I once again replaced the pad and rotors and good as new.

Dude.. . that is the most f'd up thing I've heard!! For a parts store to give you two different rotors is complete BS on their part. Can't say I'd be goin back there again unless they kiss my hieny bigtime!!!

Quick Reply: New Brakes, but violent shake