Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

shimmy shake thing at 45mph plus

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 04:13 AM
Photobucket
Default shimmy shake thing at 45mph plus

I had a four wheel alignment, two new tires on the front, balanced, and oh yes I replaced my right outer T rod end aaaand the drivers side wheel bearing hub assembly thingie. 45 mph plus I got a shimmy and i can really feel it in my butt (shut up michael), in my foot on the accelerator, and SOMETIMES in the steering wheel but not by much. At least she doesn't shake like a hula dancer anymore.

WTF could it possibly be? do I need to replace both my axles or what? Is it even worth mentioning that I DO need shocks / struts in the back (I know I KNOW I'm trying to get those one thing at a time here people) and i'd replace the front just to be safe? is it a control arm? camber? swaybar? what? I do have a stock STB that i was thinking about getting replaced with something better.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do you hear any rattles with the shimmy?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What condition are your brakes in? Its not a likely problem, but if your rotors are REALLY warped, its possible that they are causing a shaking, even when your not on the brake...Your pads still rest VERY close to the rotor with the brake off...Just a thought there...

Otherwise...IDK!

Old 09-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Photobucket

Mike no rattles... but more like SOMETHING in my steering wheel?? Like a... clunk? I dunno. I think my brakes are in good condition or she wouldntve passed inspection.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:37 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

check your lugnuts.... i've heard with alloy wheels they tend to need to be rechecked after initial tourqing.... so a clunking... does it change soun with speed, turning?

Old 09-24-2009, 03:13 AM
Photobucket

Hm.. justin not really... it just feels like something is "grabbing" the steering wheel... it's the same not a clunk but more like a... i dunno... I wish I could videotape the thing but you really wouldnt hear it like I do because there's so much other noise but i FEEL a clicking in my steering wheel and then it will stop.. ocassionaly? I dunno it's probably ALL my damn tie rods that need replaced or SOMETHING expensive...

I've noticed to on heavy acceleration i hear a... zing coming from somewhere? Yeah probably my transmission... or something else equally expensive.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:52 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This won't help with the shimmy, but take some WD-40 (or white lithium grease in a spray if you have it) and drop the cover underneath your dash and above your gas/brake pedals. (there are 2 little clips that just undo it and it falls down)

Then you will see a black rubber boot. That covers your ISS (intermediate steering shaft) when you pull that down / away, you will see a turquoise / teal green colored ring. Start spraying that can of WD-40 all over the ISS Shaft and Joint that is exposed when you do this. Then turn the wheel 90° and do it again.

Tell me if some of the "feeling" goes away in your hands.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Photobucket

mike it makes the noise even while going straight. I'm just going to have it looked at. Something tells me my tierods are just all shot... and it could be coming from my strut towers too which then in that case they're all getting replaced. I just haven't had the money. Too busy buying clothes.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member

could posibly be a lower balljoint...does it kind of dive to the way your turning?

Old 09-24-2009, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member

i should word that a little better... when your taking a turn does it all of a sudden feel like it grabs and wants to turn harder?

Quick Reply: shimmy shake thing at 45mph plus