Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

I need a new suspension! Help me decide!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default I need a new suspension! Help me decide!

My Monte's rear end is sagging quite a bit so I'm thinking its time for a new suspension. But I'm not really sure whats going to give me the best bang for my buck. Here's what I got: 2000 Monte Carlo SS 145,000 miles and I dont think the suspension has been replaced ever. I have subs and an optima battery in the trunk. I also occasionally have my friends in the back seat. I want to keep it close to stock height but I would kind of like it to be a little higher. The rims I bought a few months ago are wider then the stock ones and the wider tires rub on the lip on the rear wheel well. I want to keep the suspension as stiff as I can with maybe some adjustment. Help me out please!

Old 06-14-2010, 10:24 PM

im gonna try the rear hieghtening springs fromt he w body store. im pretty busy reight now, but ill get back to you on how much they actually help. springs set hieght, not struts. i think the best place to get your struts would be the kyb outlet, on amazon. im gonna either get some gr2's or some monroe sensatracks. im pretty sure there the same strut, with different paint.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

buy my stock springs only have about 27k miles on.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member

So would the set of stiff springs from the W-body store with the KYB AGX adjustable struts be a good combo or would a non-adjustable strut be fine?

Old 06-16-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by swanny09
So would the set of stiff springs from the W-body store with the KYB AGX adjustable struts be a good combo or would a non-adjustable strut be fine?
Kinda an objective question. If you want to be able to adjust the struts then AGXs would be good. IF you don't care about adjusting them and just want a nice little better than stock ride then just get the GR2s. I have the AGXs and have been playing around with the settings. Honestly the only advantage is that I can set it all the way stiff if I wanted to go to the track or I know I am going on a long freeway trip. Other than that if you want to save money get the GR2s.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:58 PM

^^^ Agreed, I have the (Koni) GM adjustable (discontinued) and they are great but more useful on the track. You can set the rear all the way up to eliminate rear squat, it's great. I run mine on the lowest setting for everyday driving, but then again I do have the full BMR package to compliment it.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:43 PM

IMO get LS or LT springs, they will make the rear end higher, and get a fender roller and roll your rear fenders. or get someone to professionally do it by the book, AKA clean and sand the fender lip prior to rolling, and close up and seal with seam sealer. thats how i do every one of my clients vehicles.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member

I just ordered the stiff springs and KYB AGX adjustable struts. Anything else I need to get? I'm not the handiest with suspensions. More of an engine and interior guy :P

Old 06-17-2010, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by swanny09
I just ordered the stiff springs and KYB AGX adjustable struts. Anything else I need to get? I'm not the handiest with suspensions. More of an engine and interior guy :P
You will need two sets of camber kits (I used Eibach) which would be 4 total bolts. You will also need the anti-pogo washers either from ZZP or W-body I believe.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member

Quick Reply: I need a new suspension! Help me decide!