Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Low speed wobble since lowering...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
anytime working with suspension you should align it so even if you put it back to stock you should probably get it aligned, so your best bet would just be getting it aligned as it is, lowered.
I concur. I believe the front struts bolt to the steering knuckle. THose bolts are in fact a control measure to the car's alignment (hence when changing struts you *should* get the car aligned).

Keep in mind, feelings of an out of alignment car vary when they effect you (depending on where the alignment failure is). You may feel it pull when coasting, you may feel vibration while accelerating.

Putting it back to stock will probably not net you anything but a repeat of the same problem and a lot of undoing a mod you wanted anyways. Most tire/alignment shops will check it for free. Go to a reputable one and have them do a check on it as it sits (lowered). You've already been driving the car, a free check won't hurt anything and may answer this question.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I concur. I believe the front struts bolt to the steering knuckle. THose bolts are in fact a control measure to the car's alignment (hence when changing struts you *should* get the car aligned).

Keep in mind, feelings of an out of alignment car vary when they effect you (depending on where the alignment failure is). You may feel it pull when coasting, you may feel vibration while accelerating.

Putting it back to stock will probably not net you anything but a repeat of the same problem and a lot of undoing a mod you wanted anyways. Most tire/alignment shops will check it for free. Go to a reputable one and have them do a check on it as it sits (lowered). You've already been driving the car, a free check won't hurt anything and may answer this question.
x2. ive seen front end checks be like $15 but either way youll be saving yourself money and time

Old 11-04-2010, 06:10 PM

Unfortunately nothing free around here. You guys really think it could be an alignment issue? It starts to wobble from a crawling speed if on the throttle, even as I just barely begin to leave my driveway. Also its dead stable when coasting at all speeds. It doesn't pull to either side, it drives straight every time. No howling of tires around corners or anything. Perfect...except for vibration under acceleration. LOL. The reason I'm reluctant to have it aligned is cause every other time I've had a car aligned it came back worse and the steering wheel is usually crooked after an alignment. Good service is hard to find but if I must...

-Steve

Last edited by Steves Machine; 11-04-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:42 PM

i had the same problem when i lowered my mustang gt and my silverado z71. it tweeks some thing non noticable when you do the work and is noticeable after. it is usually like a steering thing giving a wable to a bearing in a bind when it is out of tow a little newer cars and trucks after 92 are finiky i would do a alignment expecially after strut and spring change.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:15 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member

i had the same problem. alignment solved my issues. shortened dogbones were great till i added headers, then they had to come off lol.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:19 PM

It's back to stock and it's driving perfect again. Thanks for the advice everyone, but time wasn't on my side and I had to make a decision.

-Steve

Old 11-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Especially if you lowered the whole car, then get a 4 wheel alignment done. Dropped my car with Eibach's had all aligned and it tracks like no tomorrow now. The alignment shop can even check your wheels for balance while it's there.