Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Extreme Wobble? Hub or Bent rim?

Old 04-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Default Extreme Wobble? Hub or Bent rim?

So Ive had the ABS/Trac lights on for abut 3/4 of a year now, was planning on fixing it after I get outta school in a week or two. Howeever something has been worrying me. When driving at any speed, I have some pretty severe wobble in my front end. I hit a curb with the side of my front passenger wheel this winter going about 10 mph that stopped my car pretty violently. I am wondering if the severe wobble might be a bent rim or could it be the wheel hub (assuming thats the cause for the abs/tration lights) getting worse.. Any thoughts before I dump money into both?

TIA

Old 04-26-2010, 12:11 PM

Have you checked the tie rod end on that side. I was having the same problem and that was part of the cause. I also had a bad CV joint. I initially thought it was the hub but it turns out that it was not the culprit. I replaced both of those and have been wobble free ever since. Side note, check the balancing of the tire. If it is out of balance(may have knock a weight off since you hit pretty hard), it will cause wobble also. Also, jack up the car and have a look at the abs sensor connection. It could be that the connection is loose or not connected at all. That would solve the ABS/Trac light problem. If I were you, I would try the last two things I mentioned first because they are the cheapest. Just take it to a tire shop and when they take the wheel off to check the balance, see if you can connect the abs sensor located behind the hub.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:42 PM

I was considering today in class it could be a balancer cause it took a nice digger and maybe knocked one off. And upon inspection I see now that there are no balances on either front tire... but there are a few on the back ones.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Absolutpolack
I was considering today in class it could be a balancer cause it took a nice digger and maybe knocked one off. And upon inspection I see now that there are no balances on either front tire... but there are a few on the back ones.
Jack your car up so the wheel(s) you are checking are off the ground and grab the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock. Rock up and down to check for play. That is the most basic of wheel hub tests.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:54 AM

befor you mieght think it is some thing expensive like a hub or some thing else you are right to check the rims as well. check them first if there is a major woble from them it can be fixed with a weight. after that you can get the hubs for it and do them when you have a chance when you have the time so you can get the trac abs lights to go off. when you are looking at every thing under the car when it is jacked up you can check the front end steering conections as in the tie rod ends the links for the sway bar the ball joints things like that if you dont like how they look you know what you might need to fix the loose ness of the woble. because the woble that you might feel is also could come from the tie rod ends to your ball joints to the links for the sway bar. it can be frustrating the only way ti acuritly to fix the woble is do the odvios like check that a rim is bent or threw a weight. then go for the next step to get rid of the abs light and trac light and change the hub. dont be alarmed if you might need to change both do to change one and the other might go out little after you change the right.when you chang the right see if you need to fix the link for the sway bar if you need to replace the one you need to change the other. when you are on the right side also check the tie rod end as well if it looks good put your hand on it and try to jiggle it if there is play it might need to be changed. when you put every thing back to gether before you lower the car to the ground jiggle the wheel to make sure your ball joints are ok as well. if you have play after you replaced the hub it is also the ball joint. i am sorry to scare you i am just saying what to check after you fix the hub. because what is the last thing you want to find out is you might need to replace some thing else when you want it to be done. so dont be alarmed it is also a good check list with the front suspention.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:37 PM

Hmm, thanks for the advice, looks like i got a project for this wknd