Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

4th Gen ('81-'88): 87 Wheel Wobble upon braking

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 05:03 PM
Default 87 Wheel Wobble upon braking

Typically when I have bad front rotors you can feel it in the brake pedal but on my 87 Aero Coupe when I hit the brakes the steering while shakes/wobbles back and forth in my hands. I thought that if you have bad rotors you would feel it in the pedal. I feel NOTHING, no pulsating pedal nothing.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like a typical..pitman arm... also could be tie rod ends.(Inner and outer) and possibly the drag link ... or a combination of all 3... along with an alignment... are the front tires showing wear on either the inside or out side edges?...

My recommendation...
Take it to a reputable front end alignment shop and have everything checked.... from control arm bushings.. to ball joints and all front end components... I also recommend not driving it until you have the issue resolved..

Pls keep us posted on your progress and resolve.
Thanks.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:42 PM

It does pull a little to the right while driving but other than when braking it is a smooth right up front, no shimmy, no nothing at any speed. When you do brake it does not pull either way.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:43 PM

front tires have been on the car for a time and show no wear issues at all.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:47 PM

anything I can check myself just by getting the front end off the ground and look at? Move the tire up and down or side to side for play?

Old 11-01-2014, 07:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 1rushfan
anything I can check myself just by getting the front end off the ground and look at? Move the tire up and down or side to side for play?
You could get it safely in the air (Jack stands)
wiggle the wheel by hand and see if you have bad wheel bearings...

Also if you have a "Large" pair of channel locks...
squeeze each tie rod end at the swivel and see if they compress (Outer and Inner).. if they do compress even a tiny bit there bad.

Laying under the front end and while looking at the pitman arm.. move either wheel/tire back and forth(Left and Right)With just enough force to almost turn them in either direction... and see if the pitman arm moves up and down..if it does... its also bad... You can also check them with a "Large" pair of channel locks and also compress the swivel points for movement.. If you can even squeeze them in a little... Its also bad!
Or just grab a hold of it (Pitman arm)with your hand and see if it will move up and down...It shouldn't move...up and down even a little... If it does it needs to be replaced...

If you don't have a "Large" Pair of channel locks..

I highly recommend taking it to a Front end shop for a proper inspection...

Otherwise,
If you continue to drive it and it fails/breaks/comes apart you will have no steering what so ever...
Thus Causing serious injury/death to you and or someone else.

Please keep us posted of your findings and resolve.