Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Rksport Re-Paint and Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 03:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

You should share your secrets with me haha! My front lower spoiler is in need of painting but I'm unsure of how to get great results like you have

Old 05-30-2012, 05:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
You should share your secrets with me haha! My front lower spoiler is in need of painting but I'm unsure of how to get great results like you have
Haha honestly it wasn't that hard! I don't know why people complain so much about rattle can paint jobs. Mine looks great

What I did for the top of the bumper and what you'll probably be doing is pretty easy. First I sanded everything with 400 grit wet. I made sure to feather out all the chips and peeling paint so it was as smooth as possible. Then I cleaned it with some wax and grease remover and sprayed a few coats of sandable auto primer. I then sanded the primer with 600 grit wet after it had dried. I cleaned this with soap and water as sometimes the wax and grease remover will mess with the primer/paint. Then I shot 3 coats of my color. I have gotten pretty good with spray paint over the years so it came out pretty good. Just put it on as even as you can. I let the color set for one hour before I put 3 coats of clear on. That's it for the painting.

For cut and buff all I did was wet sand the whole area lightly with 1500 grit wet, and then I used Meguires Ultimate Compound and a microfiber cloth to buff it out. I don't recommend buffing it with a machine buffer as it is easy to burn through the clear coat, especially spray painted on as it is usually much thinner than the clear coat that goes on from factory.

That's pretty much it