Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Wireless networking question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Note on the overkill speed recommendations - while your Internet service might not be faster than the router, computers in your network can benefit from higher rated speeds. Stuff like file transfers from a desktop to laptop or watching movies on a PS3 that are saved on the computer.

A router with a second wireless system called a "guest network" lets you give Internet access to guests but keeps them from browsing systems on your main network. You can also do things like set up the guest network for older 80211B computers to use, some 'B' systems cannot use advanced password protection. Taking the B off of the main wireless network may also speed up the wireless G/N.

Netgear WNDR3800 here. Good video streaming, guest network, USB port to share a printer or external hard drive and gigabit ethernet.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Barovelli
Note on the overkill speed recommendations - while your Internet service might not be faster than the router, computers in your network can benefit from higher rated speeds. Stuff like file transfers from a desktop to laptop or watching movies on a PS3 that are saved on the computer.

A router with a second wireless system called a "guest network" lets you give Internet access to guests but keeps them from browsing systems on your main network. You can also do things like set up the guest network for older 80211B computers to use, some 'B' systems cannot use advanced password protection. Taking the B off of the main wireless network may also speed up the wireless G/N.

Netgear WNDR3800 here. Good video streaming, guest network, USB port to share a printer or external hard drive and gigabit ethernet.

Thank you for the Info !!

Old 07-22-2012, 02:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
I think I understand.... basically don't get a wireless router that has speeds faster than your provider can support cause it's overkill.
Thanks!! still another fact I didn't think of
That is correct, unless as I tried to mention you have "internal" network traffic. Computers communicating to eachother RATHER then to the Internet. All depends on how you use the technology.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
We only have one intenet provider in my area that cable and several that are dish. Is this verizon fios a provider or a type of modem/router?

thanks!
Verizon is the provider and they offer a "Verizon FiOS" package which is their fastest internet and it comes with a router/modem.

if you have a different provider and just need a router i think linksys might be the way to go!

Old 07-22-2012, 04:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Router placement may or may not matter depending on your floorplan. If your router is centrally located you shouldnt have a problem.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:57 PM

Tadd,

I would suggest that you go with 802.11N version, it is the current standard and is backward compatible with A,B, & G so no issue there.

For recommendation and overall ease of use being new to wireless technologies, give the Apple AirPort a shot, if you don't do backups you could go with an Apple TimeCapsule as it will provide wireless access, firewall, guest access, printer sharing, and backup services all in one easy to use device.

AirPort
AirPort Express Base Station - Apple Store (U.S.)

TimeCapsule
Time Capsule - 2TB - Apple Store (U.S.)

Good luck and hope this helps you out,
Ron