Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Wireless networking question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 07:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Wireless networking question

I want to go wireless when I move my computer room to the basement to make room for my Mom's move in.

I am old school and not too up on wireless. Am getting confused about duel channel, 300 or more networking speed, ect...

Can any one sugest a good wireless router and adaptor for our computers?

I would be running 1 printer, 2 desktops, a laptop on days I work from home and wifey's cell phone on this network.

Wifey likes to watch Yoga videos and play face book games, I like to play Skyrim wich requires an intenet connection all are resource intensive I belive.

Can any one sugest a good wireless router and adaptors for our computers?

I am running windows 7, 64 byte, wifey is on XP home 32 byte.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:05 AM

Hi Tadd, check out the below link...I hope it helps * Note, once connected to below link (go to page 2)

HowStuffWorks "How WiFi Works"

Old 07-22-2012, 07:23 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm using a NetGear wireless router in conjunction with their wireless USB adapters on my desktop systems. My laptops have built in wireless capability so I didn't need adapters for them. Your printer will need to be wireless capable to include it in the network. If possible, center the router between all your computers and you should have excellent coverage from all of them. When you set it up use WPA2-PSK security to prevent the neighbors from accessing your infrastructure and 'borrowing' bandwidth.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:35 AM

Hi Seattle `Mike,
I am constantly impressed with your knowledge on so many subjects/Topic's...I learn from your words/posts.

Thank You for sharing with your Monte Carlo Family...I appreciated 4-Sure

Old 07-22-2012, 09:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

People go nuts feeling they have to buy an expensive wireless router. One thing I've had to point out, is:
- If all your PCs are connecting to the Internet and NOT each other, pay attention to you MAX internet speed. Some people get sold on high $$ routers because they can do wireless speeds up to X, but X is WAY faster then their current internet speed (so if ALL your network traffic is to the Internet, going WAY faster then your internet speed is not making your Internet faster).
I hope that made sense. Bottom line, most the time you can get one for $20-$30 after rebate and you will be fine.

I try to stick to a name brand (I like NetGear and Linksys/Cisco myself). You want one that supports WPA2 encryption. Supporting 802.11n a plus, but not a requirement (most stuff is 100% fine on 802.11g and if you have a 802.11n wireless card in a machine, it will support g).

I prefer a hardwired connection when possible (as it will always be easier and more reliable then wireless, but wireless has come a LONG way).

And lastly, if you buy a router, try it out, if you are not happy with it (such as you tried it in a couple of spots in your home and you're not getting good coverage), don't be afraid to take it back and pick up another.

Again, 90% of what you can find on the market today should work 100% fine. And if you don't buy that high $$$ router because it's expensive and supports speeds you won't see the benefit from as your Internet is not fast enough, by the time you opt/can upgrade your Internet, routers with those speed features will probably be the cheapo ones at that time.

I hope that all made sense and helps.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:25 AM

i used to have a linksys connected to the modem and it was really good. but i have verizon fios and they give you this modem/router combo so you dont need to buy one

Old 07-22-2012, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Space
Hi Tadd, check out the below link...I hope it helps * Note, once connected to below link (go to page 2)

HowStuffWorks "How WiFi Works"
Thanks Space. This link pointed out two wireless standards I wasn't aware there where diffierent ones

Old 07-22-2012, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Monte
i used to have a linksys connected to the modem and it was really good. but i have verizon fios and they give you this modem/router combo so you dont need to buy one
We only have one intenet provider in my area that cable and several that are dish. Is this verizon fios a provider or a type of modem/router?

thanks!

Old 07-22-2012, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
People go nuts feeling they have to buy an expensive wireless router. One thing I've had to point out, is:
- If all your PCs are connecting to the Internet and NOT each other, pay attention to you MAX internet speed. Some people get sold on high $$ routers because they can do wireless speeds up to X, but X is WAY faster then their current internet speed (so if ALL your network traffic is to the Internet, going WAY faster then your internet speed is not making your Internet faster).
I hope that made sense. Bottom line, most the time you can get one for $20-$30 after rebate and you will be fine.

I try to stick to a name brand (I like NetGear and Linksys/Cisco myself). You want one that supports WPA2 encryption. Supporting 802.11n a plus, but not a requirement (most stuff is 100% fine on 802.11g and if you have a 802.11n wireless card in a machine, it will support g).

I prefer a hardwired connection when possible (as it will always be easier and more reliable then wireless, but wireless has come a LONG way).

And lastly, if you buy a router, try it out, if you are not happy with it (such as you tried it in a couple of spots in your home and you're not getting good coverage), don't be afraid to take it back and pick up another.

Again, 90% of what you can find on the market today should work 100% fine. And if you don't buy that high $$$ router because it's expensive and supports speeds you won't see the benefit from as your Internet is not fast enough, by the time you opt/can upgrade your Internet, routers with those speed features will probably be the cheapo ones at that time.

I hope that all made sense and helps.
I think I understand.... basically don't get a wireless router that has speeds faster than your provider can support cause it's overkill.
Thanks!! still another fact I didn't think of

Old 07-22-2012, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
I'm using a NetGear wireless router in conjunction with their wireless USB adapters on my desktop systems. My laptops have built in wireless capability so I didn't need adapters for them. Your printer will need to be wireless capable to include it in the network. If possible, center the router between all your computers and you should have excellent coverage from all of them. When you set it up use WPA2-PSK security to prevent the neighbors from accessing your infrastructure and 'borrowing' bandwidth.

Thanks Mike... Yes my printer does support wireless. Placment of the router was news to me and thanks for bringing it up!

Quick Reply: Wireless networking question