Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Secret to Happiness ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Secret to Happiness ?

[align=center]The Secret to Happiness is Owning, andDriving[/align][align=center]a Chevrolet Monte Carlo[/align][align=center]plus

The key to happiness is to appreciate what you have. Sounds simple. So why are so many people unhappy?[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center]I do not belong to any denominational church,[/align][align=center]but I read and search the web a lot for my class work[/align][align=center]and also to learn as I travel this journey called life.[/align][align=center]I am posting this for members that also want to learn[/align][align=center]and have the time to read. It just may open a door[/align][align=center]in your Mind.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I hope you enjoy and find some Happiness in this post.[/align][align=center]___________________________________________[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]by Noel Weinberg[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center]A young man once told me his story. He had an unusually happy disposition, so I asked him whats his secret. He told me:
[/align][blockquote][align=center]"When I was 11 years old, I received a gift of happiness fromthe Master of all.[/align][/blockquote]

[blockquote][align=center]"I was riding my bicycle when a strong gust of wind blew me onto the ground into the path of an oncoming truck. The truck ran over me and cut off my leg.[/align][/blockquote]

[blockquote][align=center]"As I lay there bleeding, I realized that I might have to live the rest of my life without a leg. How depressing! But then I realized that being depressed wont get my leg back. So I decided right then and there not to waste my life despairing.[/align][/blockquote]

[blockquote][align=center]"When my parents arrived at the hospital they were shocked and grieving. So I told them: I've already adapted. Now you also have to get used to this.[/align][/blockquote]

[blockquote][align=center]"Ever since then, I see my friends getting upset over little things: their bus came late, they got a bad grade on a test, somebody insulted them. But I just enjoy life."

Sounds simple, doesnt it? So why are so many people unhappy?

[/align][/blockquote][align=center]At age 11, this young man attained the clarity that it is a waste of energy to focus on what you are missing. And that the key to happiness is to take pleasure in what you have. Sounds simple, doesnt it? So why are so many people unhappy?

HAPPINESS IS A STATE OF MIND

Western society commonly perceives happiness as the outcome of what you achieve and acquire. [/align][align=center][/align][blockquote][align=center]My whole life would improve if I had a new Chevy Monte Carlo SS V8...
[/align][/blockquote]

[blockquote][align=center]I just need a better job and then I can relax and be happy.[/align][/blockquote]

[blockquote][align=center]If only I met the right girl...

For a whole week youre walking on air. Then you go right back to being unhappy.

Then you go right back to being unhappy. Sound familiar? [/align][/blockquote][align=center]"Happiness is not a happening. Happiness is a state of mind. You can have everything in the world and still be miserable. Or you can have relatively little and feel unbounded joy.
[/align][blockquote][align=center]"Who is rich? The one who appreciates what he has." [/align][/blockquote][align=center]
Thats why the morning prayers begin with a series of blessings thanking your God for the simple and obvious:
[/align][blockquote][align=center]Thank you, for giving me life.[/align][/blockquote]

[blockquote][align=center]I am Thankful I can see. [/align][/blockquote]

[blockquote][align=center]Thanks for my hands and feet.[/align][/blockquote]

[blockquote][align=center]Thankful for the ability to think.[/align][align=center]
Once you master the art of noticing, appreciating and consciously enjoying what you already have, then you will always be happy.[/align][/blockquote][align=center]APPRECIATE WHAT YOU HAVE - AND TROUBLES BECOME INSIGNIFICANT [/align][blockquote][align=center]You are standing on the 70th floor of the Empire State Building, gazing at the cityscape. Suddenly a rather large man brusquely pushes past you, wrenches the window open and announces his intention to jump.[/align][/blockquote]

[blockquote][align=center]You yell out: "Stop! Dont do it!"[/align][/blockquote]

[blockquote][align=center]The six-foot-five figure perched by the window turns to you and menacingly says, "Try to stop me and Ill take you with me!"[/align][/blockquote]

[blockquote][align=center]"Umm... No problem, sir. Have a safe trip. Any last words?"[/align][/blockquote]

[blockquote][align=center]He says, "Let me tell you my troubles. My wife left me, my kids wont talk to me, I lost my job and my pet turtle died. So why should I go on living?"[/align][/blockquote]

[blockquote][align=center]Suddenly you have a flash of inspiration.[/align][/blockquote]

[blockquote][align=center]"Sir, close your eyes for a minute and imagine that you are blind. No colors, no sights of children playing, no fields of flowers, no sunset. Now imagine that suddenly theres a miracle. You open your eyes and your vision is restored! Are you going to jump - or will you stick around for a week to enjoy the sights?"[/align][/blockquote]

[blockquote][align=center]"I'll stay for a week."[/align][/blockquote]

[blockquote][align=center]"But what happened to all the troubles?"[/align][/blockquote]

[blockquote][align=center]"Ah, I guess theyre not so bad. I can see!"

An eyeball is worth at least five million dollars. You have two of them? Youre rich.[/align][align=center]I would not trade my eyes for a Monte Carlo[/align][align=center]would you ?

An eyeball is worth at least five million dollars. You have two of them? Youre rich.
If you really appreciate your eyesight, then the other miseries are nothing.
Yet if you take it all for granted, then nothing in life will ever truly give you joy.

MISCONCEPTIONS ON THE ROAD TO HAPPINESS
[/align][/blockquote][align=center][/align][blockquote][align=center]Misconception #1: "Once I know the tools for being happy, then it will work like magic."[/align][/blockquote]

[blockquote][align=center]Dont expect the results to come automatically. It is possible to intellectually understand how to attain happiness, yet not put it into practice.
[/align][/blockquote]
[blockquote][align=center]In fact, many people might actually prefer to be comfortable and unhappy, rather than endure the discomfort of changing their habits.[/align][/blockquote]

[blockquote][align=center]Just as learning any new skill requires effort, you have to be willing to invest serious effort to achieve real happiness.[/align][/blockquote][align=center]
Misconception #2: "If I become content and satisfied with what I have, Ill lose my motivation to achieve more."
Happiness doesnt drain your energy. It adds more![/align][blockquote][align=center]Ask a happy person: "I have a boat. Do you want to go fishing?"

[/align][/blockquote]
[blockquote][align=center]He'll say: "Great! Lets go!"
[/align][/blockquote]
[blockquote][align=center]Now ask someone who is depressed: "Cmon, lets go fishing!"[/align][/blockquote]

[blockquote][align=center]He says, "Im tired. Maybe tomorrow. And anyway, it might rain..."

[/align][/blockquote]
[blockquote][align=center]Happy people are energetic and ambitious. Theres never enough time to do everything they want to do.[/align][/blockquote][align=center]
Misconception #3: Happiness is optional. If I want to be depressed, thats my own prerogative
[/align][blockquote][align=center]A beautiful Sunday afternoon. Youre at the park having a picnic with your friends.[/align][/blockquote][align=center]
[/align][blockquote][align=center]Suddenly the air is pierced by one person complaining: "Who forgot the forks? Its too hot for volleyball. I want to go home already.">[/align][/blockquote][align=center]
[/align][blockquote][align=center]You have an obligation to be happy when your mood is negatively affecting others. Dont spoil the fun.[/align][/blockquote][align=center]
We all try to put on a happy face when we re at a party. But what about when we are at home, with our kids? Or when we trudge into the office on Monday morning?

Like an open pit in the middle of the road, a sour puss is a public menace.

Like an open pit in the middle of the road, a sour puss is a public menace. Being happy is part of being considerate to the people around us. [/align][align=center]

THE DAILY PLEASURE COUNT

[/align][align=center]To begin appreciating life, pinpoint some things you are extremely grateful for and count them every morning for one month, e.g.: your eyes, your hands, your children, your cat.
Set a time each day to contemplate these pleasures. Feel gratitude for them. This exercise can change the mood of even the most miserable amongst us:
The next time you visit your aunt (the one who loves to complain), tell her very respectfully:
[/align][blockquote][align=center]"Auntie, I came here to suffer with you today. But before we suffer, it is only fair that you also share with me five pleasures that you had today."

[/align][/blockquote]
[blockquote][align=center]"I had no pleasures."[/align][/blockquote]

[blockquote][align=center]"Auntie, did you have coffee for breakfast?"
[/align][/blockquote]

[blockquote][align=center]"Yes."

[/align][/blockquote]
[blockquote][align=center]Dont let her off the hook with this perfunctory answer. Make her share the pleasure. "Was it sweet? Warm? Did the aroma linger? Did it give you energy?" (She'll comply because she wants her turn to complain...)

[/align][/blockquote]
[blockquote][align=center]"Okay, it was sweet and it was nice."

[/align][/blockquote]
[blockquote][align=center]"Great Auntie! Now four more!"

[/align][/blockquote]
[blockquote][align=center]"I didnt have any more."

[/align][/blockquote]
[blockquote][align=center]"Did you wash your face? Was it pleasant? Warm? Refreshing?" Relive it with her. Then another one.[/align][/blockquote][align=center]
After she describes five pleasures, er complaints wont be nearly as bad.
To really work at this, sit down with your spouse (or roommate) every evening and discuss one pleasure that each of you had that day. At the very least, youll have a happier spouse or roommate!
Incorporate this into your family routine so that your children also learn to appreciate their daily pleasures.[/align][align=center]
THE ONE HOUR BLESSING-FEST
The next exercise is more sophisticated.[/align][blockquote][align=center]Spend one hour writing down everything for which you are grateful.
[/align][/blockquote]
[blockquote][align=center]Most people fly through the first 15 minutes. The next 15 minutes the pen moves more slowly. The next 15 minutes get even tougher, but you can pull through if you include your eyebrows and socks...[/align][/blockquote][align=center]
The last 15 minutes are excruciating.
Once the list is compiled, add one new blessing each day.
The power of this exercise is clear: You must be conscious of all your blessings, in order to appreciate whatever new blessings come your way.[/align][align=center]PRIORITIZE YOUR BLESSINGS
To really hone your skills and become an expert at appreciation, prioritize your list. [/align][blockquote][align=center]Which is more valuable - your hands or your feet?
[/align][/blockquote]
[blockquote][align=center]Eyes or ears?

[/align][/blockquote]
[blockquote][align=center]Sense of taste or your sense of touch?[/align][align=center]
Comparing each pleasure forces you to qualify the various subtle aspects of each pleasure. And to quantify how much each respective pleasure gives you.
Follow this course and work at it daily. Your gratitude will continue to grow, building a solid foundation for a lifetime of happiness.

I wish the reader of the above words
Happiness, from
`Space [/align][/blockquote]

Old 08-12-2008, 09:54 AM
Default RE: Secret to Happiness ?

[align=center]Notice[/align][align=center]There will be a test later. LOL[/align][align=center]If the above posted information helps one member ?[/align][align=center]It was worth my time.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Rev. Happy `Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I share, cause I care. I am still searching for the meaning of `life and[/align][align=center]when I look into the skies, I ask, Where does it end ?[/align][align=center]Oh, and are there Monte Carlo's in Heaven ?[/align][align=center][/align]

Old 08-12-2008, 11:21 AM
rj
15 Year Member

Western society commonly perceives happiness as the outcome of what you achieve and acquire.

That pretty much sums things up.

Our society teaches us if we don't have a new house, car, dog or spouce we're not happy.

The U.S. of A. has become the land of the whinners.
All you see on TV. All you read in the newspaper is people whinning.
"I don't have this. I don't have that."

No one is thankful for what they DO have.

I do believe in God. I try to remember every single day to give thanks for God being so kind to me. I can see, I can walk, I can use my hands, and I can think for myself. There are other people out there who can't do one or more of these things. What would they give to be able to do it?

You can be as rich as Bill Gates and not have your health. What good is money then if you can't enjoy it?

Old 08-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

On a side note, I've noticed the posts are getting longer than two sentences. Is it possible things are improving in the server?

Old 08-15-2008, 08:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Taz

On a side note, I've noticed the posts are getting longer than two sentences. Is it possible things are improving in the server?
Hi Mod Taz,
My
Secret to Happiness today is to be able to post links
on the MCF.
My above post was a successful attempt to post a long
read to see if it would stick, and the bonus would be
that the post helped atleast one person.
Some days posting is better then others.
Now I am getting about 50% of my posts to submit.
Wish the reader of this post a Happy Day....Now : )
from `Space