Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Secret Weapon

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Default Secret Weapon

Anyone hooked up or has used a weapon r secret weapon intake?? I know its more of a tuner brand but Ive seen some real good reviews online and in race shops. Just wonderin If any montes tried it out since theres some designed for us.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:56 PM

Had weapon R on my civic. It was about the same as every other Hot Air Intake. I would not do it unless it comes with a heat shield or you build one.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i agree with todd, its basically going to be the same as slapping a cone filter on the end of the current air intake, except it will have extra support

Old 01-04-2010, 07:58 PM

its basically going to be the same as slapping a cone filter on the end of the current air intake
x2- that intake setup is retarded. You need soem way to keep the heat from being sucked into the filter- I don't care how good of a design you have in the tubing- if you're sucking in hot air rising off the exhaust crossover pipe at stop lights, and radiator fan wash while driving- then you aren't getting any cool air at all. You need to either build and insulating wall (like the K&N setups), build an insulating box (like the Wizair setup), or put the entire filter in the fenderwell, and seal it off from the engine bay.

I understand what they're trying to do with that intake setup- the outer layer of air absorbs the bulk of the heat, while the inner layer of air is insulated from this- however, the two still combine and average out the two temperatures, so its not as cool as the inlet. If you were truly concerned about heat coming through the pipe and heating the air- you would make the pipe of a material that is not heat conductive (ie use plastic or something similar)- then you would add insulation around that to help drastically increase the resistance of heat flow.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

the only thing you could really do with it is run a the tube to the fender to make it a ram air intake, but youd still be bringing in some warm air from the cone itself unless you wanted to seal it off somehow, but the cone filter in the pic is designed to have a tube run off it for ram air intake behind the foglight or something like that

Old 01-04-2010, 10:22 PM

Yeah, I had a similar filter setup on my monte when I had the old 3100 in it- I had the ram air hose ran down under the front air dam (I cut out a notch in the lower plastic scrape guard for it to fit into); plus I bought the plastic heat shield that covered the top half of the filter's cone to try and keep heat out.

The first problem is, you really can't close off the main filter element (even my heat shield had a big gap between the plastic and the fitler)- the 'ram air' hole in the front is really really small (mine had an inverted cone, but I would still say the equivalent panel area was less than a 3"x3" square- way smaller than the stock filter. With the main filter element exposed, your IAT's still rocket up to HAI levels at a stop and lower speeds; and even while driving IAT's are still a good margin above what a true CAI or FWI would be. You could always build a sealing wall around the main filter element- but then why wouldn't you just have done that in the first place with a regular cone filter rather than messing with a ram air tube.

Secondly, imagine where the ram air hole is pointing- right into the front end of your car and all of its metal work. So on mine, I had to connect it with a flex hose that had to make a 90* bend to get it down and out of the engine bay, then another 90* bend to get it to face the front of the car (I then clamped that to my adaptor on my lower valence). Obviously these tight bends drastically cut down on the airflow. If you tossed the headlight and ran it right out of the headlight hole, you'd be better off- but you can't drive that around the street.