Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: I prefer
Manual Transmission
77.78%
Automatic Transmission
22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Manual or Automatic Transmission ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 06:20 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks everyone for voting & posting...
It's great to see the manual transmissions are ahead in the Poll. There's hope that the auto companies will continue to offer them

I know I loved driving my g/f Miata & it was a blast to drive..Mazda makes a great standard transmission that takes a beating & keeps on shifting..., & if you blow a gear or clutch they aren't that expensive to repair....In my 1st car (Honda Del Sol) the transmission was not as good, but it still was fun & I put in a short shifter (many clutches, throw out beaings, parts & changed the trans gears + a locked drive gear)...They are a BLAST to drive/shift & get in2 trouble lol...

I know that the auto trans are getting better in some rides & paddle shifts are a Blast...One of the bum's has a Mitsubishi Lancer GTS with a CVT trans/paddle shifter & paddle shift is not 2 good in a CVT...I like to feel the gears change & not have a rubber band do the shifting

`Amy, the Mini's are Hot & a Blast to drive...Especially the Turbo Version...I really liked the one that you had

I must get back to my paperwork, but it's great to read everyones posts.
Peace/Out

Last edited by Space; 12-14-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:35 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was raised and taught to drive a stick at 10 yrs old...It was a 4 door chevyII. 6 banger , 3 on the tree...I use to back it up and down the driveway for practice takeing off...Ya I stahled a bunch of times...lol
But finally got the hang of it...My dad would take me out on the road and we'd trade places and let me drive...Back then there were dirt roads and very few paved 2 lane roads.

I drove that car for many years..But after that most everycar I owned was a stick...Since I'm a retired Truck driver(26 yrs)..I guess all that experience paid off! Thats another thing I miss as an amputee is driveing stick...Before the wreck..I owned a Cavalier Z-34 That was a blast to drive everyday to and from work....After the wreck... I ended up giveing it to my younger brother. I did try to drive it a few times with my prostetic leg..However, being an above knee amputee I'd have to manually lift my leg with my hand to put it on the clutch pedal and then as short as my stump is....Took so much effort to try to push it in to disengage the clutch.....My heart was in it...But my leg couldnt take it...I miss driveing a Manual transmission!
But I prefer driveing a stick!

Old 12-14-2012, 10:37 AM

I knew a guy with knee problems who made some kind of removable doodad that aided him with the pedals. Not sure if it's an actual product, but it was a pretty novel idea that made driving a lot easier on him.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Zen

My knee's are the only reason I don't drive stick any more (an you can never find a nice truck with one)
I do love a nice twisty road to hual butt down hammer in an out of gears.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Zen
My knee's are the only reason I don't drive stick any more (an you can never find a nice truck with one)
I do love a nice twisty road to hual butt down hammer in an out of gears.
Theres always pike peak......

Or you could go down to Tennessee in telico plains and run on old highway 411!
Thats where I use to play when I lived in Tennessee...Shhhhh

Old 12-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Zen

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Theres always pike peak......

Or you could go down to Tennessee in telico plains and run on old highway 411!
Thats where I use to play when I lived in Tennessee...Shhhhh
I want to go around Watkinsgalen at full speed