Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: I prefer
Manual Transmission
77.78%
Automatic Transmission
22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Manual or Automatic Transmission ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 06:01 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Manual or Automatic Transmission ?

Hi Member's, what do your prefer ?
Manual Transmission or Automatic ?
Please Vote in above Poll

I'd like to see a six speed Manual in a Monte

Report: Manual Transmissions Regaining Popularity in New Cars

Written by: Jake Holmes 2012
<!-- AddThis Button END -->

<!--leftside banner-->
<!--leftside ends here -->You know the old truism that American drivers hate manual transmissions and only ever buy automatics? Well, turns out that’s not necessarily true anymore. An analysis in USA Today reveals that the proportion of new cars sold with manual transmissions in the first quarter of this year was at its highest level since 2006.

While the first-quarter take rate of 6.5 percent doesn’t sound like a serious victory for manual transmissions, it is reportedly the highest rate in six years. Back then, Americans chose stick shifts on 7.2 percent of new vehicles. In 2011, 2010, and 2008 the rate was below four percent; in 2007 and 2009, 2.9 percent and 4.4 percent of new cars in America, respectively, were sold with clutch pedals and manual shifters. The rate was as high as 8.5 percent back in 2002 and fell to 8.2 percent in 2003.

Even though more people are purchasing them, the availability of cars with manual transmissions seems to be dwindling. Just 19 percent of all new cars on offer in America can be equipped with a manual transmission, down from 29 percent of all new models in 2006. Exotic car manufacturer Ferrari no longer sells any cars with manual transmissions. One reason: many modern automatic and dual-clutch transmissions return higher EPA fuel economy numbers than their manual equivalents.

Customers, however, are becoming more interested in cars with manuals: Ford announced in February that it would make a six-speed manual transmission available on the top-spec Focus Titanium, in response to strong public demand. The Focus Titanium was previously available only with a dual-clutch transmission. In fact, the Focus is beating the industry average and has a ten-percent take rate for manual transmissions. Similarly, Dodge expects that about 20 percent of 2013 Dart sales will be for cars with manual transmissions.

We obviously are happy to see more manual transmissions on sale and being purchased by customers, as shifting gears manually can provide more driving engagement and fun. What do you think? Do you prefer driving a manual transmission, or is ease of an automatic transmission more appealing?

Member's post your preference & why ?

Last edited by Space; 12-13-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:31 AM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I love driving manual trans.But my knee doesn't
I used to race at the track with a 5 speed truck was fair good at it 2nd in points for 2 years in my class.
Just been having too much pain an stiffness in the knee to drive a stick everyday.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:39 AM

Hi `Chris,
Thanks for your post...Sorry `bout your knee & pain...
Do you have any racing pictures ? You should make a thread & share them
I love shifting, and like to select my gears & feel in control, but I don't live in a Big City area with a lot of stop & `go traffic...

I dread driving in Orlando traffic with the stop/creep/`go/STOP/repeat & keep repeating...
I've been driving many years 4-Sure (LOL)

Last edited by Space; 12-13-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:54 AM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

No pics it's been about 8 years.I might be able to find one of the truck but thats it.
Stop an go with my knee is a real pain.Jess's car is a stick an with the clutch she has in it taking off looks like the car is having a seizure when my knee is acting up.
It's fun but a pain at the same time.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have both, I enjoy both. I don't think I would switch the Monte over to a manual, but I also don't think I could have the Camaro as an auto lol

Old 12-13-2012, 07:57 AM

..Hi `Mike, you have the best of both worlds..
I would only want a manual transmission in a RWD..., but Pontiac did have a six speed manual in their FWD GT with a 3.9L V6......Not many produced

Thanks 4 your post

Old 12-13-2012, 07:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Don't miss the manual experience. Drove manuals for years and years from the 52 Chevy car with it's 3 on the tree in high school to many military vehicles. Even drove a Soviet T54A Syrian battle tank for a year with a manual transmission. Just not something for a daily driver I care to have in rush hour traffic. At the track I still go through my Monte's auto tranny gears.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:07 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I had a manual in my GTO & it was fun, but the auto in my SRT is amazing, shifts are instant & it down shifts instantly so im leaning more twards autos again

Old 12-13-2012, 09:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member

never driven one, but I do plan on buying one to learn on soon..You can get a used car cheaper when they are manual.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

The majority of vehicles I've owned over the years were equipped with a manual transmission, but with the advancement in technology I prefer an automatic. They shift much quicker and precisely compared to a manual.

Quick Reply: Manual or Automatic Transmission ?