Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

How did you get to the montes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 04chevyboy
Sounds like a sweet deal to me! Im looking for an older more ruffed up monte for winter
If you wanted my advice, look for another W-Body platform car (Impala, Grand Prix, Regal). This way you drive something similar BUT different during the winter. Makes hopping in the Monte more fun come spring (like getting a new car). PLUS, from my car shopping, the Montes appear to have higher asking prices most of the time then some of the other W-bodies that seem more common.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:43 PM

So true having anothe monte for winter would be cool so you wouldn't have to miss driving one but if you have a winter monte and summer monte it to me owuld seem like no excitement come summer i mean besides the fact of a diff monte, where as driving a diff vehicle in winter makes it more exciting to get back in the monte come summer time

Old 11-22-2011, 08:49 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Monte04LS
So true having anothe monte for winter would be cool so you wouldn't have to miss driving one but if you have a winter monte and summer monte it to me owuld seem like no excitement come summer i mean besides the fact of a diff monte, where as driving a diff vehicle in winter makes it more exciting to get back in the monte come summer time
I don't agree - I look forward to driving my 03 Monte during the nice days of the summer months. I treat it more of a cruiser car (I would never want to drive it hard).
That's what the 05 SS supercharged is for - and soon the new Camaro that will replace the 05 SS in the daily driver category.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:06 PM

I feel the same way of sorts when I had the LS it handled diff than the SS and the LS was kinda the everyday rough car and the SS is the cruiser/passing machine lol but I love havign asa truck now and going from driving the truck daily to going to the lowriding quick car feels so different and such a joy lol, if I had the cash I'd love to have a silver SS liek yours supercharged would totally be a plus but I dont htink I'll be affording one anytime soon

Old 11-23-2011, 02:08 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
Traded this in for the Monte and I am very happy with the decision (even though the 03 wasn't supercharged)

Saw one just like this tonight!

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
I think I've had 15-17 vehicles since i was 16 I dont remeber though will have to count agian sometime and see lol
Thats pretty crazy,my dad was telling me hes had ove 30.He used to be into cars
Originally Posted by The_Maniac
If you wanted my advice, look for another W-Body platform car (Impala, Grand Prix, Regal). This way you drive something similar BUT different during the winter. Makes hopping in the Monte more fun come spring (like getting a new car). PLUS, from my car shopping, the Montes appear to have higher asking prices most of the time then some of the other W-bodies that seem more common.
Id like to get something like a grand prix gtp like amys old one i would drive it more than the monte too soo i dont rack up miles on her!

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
Unless it was the 5th gen
Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
I don't agree - I look forward to driving my 03 Monte during the nice days of the summer months. I treat it more of a cruiser car (I would never want to drive it hard).
That's what the 05 SS supercharged is for - and soon the new Camaro that will replace the 05 SS in the daily driver category.
Thats what i want to do is customize mine but have a fun daily driver!

Old 11-23-2011, 05:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

@AwesomeSS - First, I just caught up on missed posts and saw the Grand Prix. That looks like it was a nice ride. Back when I had a '93 Grand Am, I wanted that body Grand Prix. Unfortunately, my plans to attain one got screwed up when I totaled the '93 shortly after I bought a house. To get wheels and back on the road, I then bought the '94 Grand Am I still have (this was in 2003). By the time I had money and was ready to shop for the car I would replace the Grand Am with, all those Grand Prixs around me had there rocker panels rotting out (my dad actually cut out and replaced the sheet steel on his). Between that problem, the last of that style being 6 years old at that point AND it felt like EVERYONE had a Grand Prix like that, I wanted something different. My biggest requirement, a 3800 N/A. I drove my dad's '98 Grand Prix for a week shortly after he bought it in '00-'01 and that's when my love affair with the 3800 began
I know being a W-body, the Monte could fall pray to the same rocker panel problem the Grand Prixs have, but I figured it's newer, it's slightly different.... I'll take the gamble.

As for the Summer/Winter Monte, it may depend on the person. Obviously you have enjoyed TWO Montes for quite some time. I still think I would not enjoy a summer Monte as much. Admittedly though, the summer car I hope to enjoy again is an '84 Z28 Camaro (currently in pieces in my garage).

Old 11-23-2011, 01:51 PM

It started for me when I sold my 79 Trans am for a more suitable familly car.
It only seats 2 in the back and you cant drive it all year in the snow.
So I started researching something that would be practical and still make me smile to drive.
And although I'm not in my MC just yet.

I want (and am getting one) an 06 SS for the reason it is simply the best practical modern muscle car.
8cyl - check
Muscle/Race Car Heritage (accepted at car shows & cruise nights) - check
Front Wheel Drive (good in snow) - check
Seats 3 in the back (i got 3 kids) - check
2 door is sporty - check
Somewhat affordable - check
Drives awesome - check
Luxery options - check

I've always really liked every gen MC mostly the G body ones but when I found out this car has everything going for it like the above.
I cant go wrong with it.

Mustangs and Camaros only sit 2 in the back, the Challenger sits 3 but is rear wheel drive.
And since my wife isnt comfortable with rear wheel in the snow that leaves the challenger out too, plus even base models are pricey.

When I look at the MCs it's amazing how GM actually met every one of my requirements in a car.

Hands down, its a perfect car.
Plus my 2 older brothers built the drivetrains working for GM.
So I have a familly connection.

With all this I might just turn into some kind of Monte Carlo spokesperson nut.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:26 PM

I just saw one cruising one day and had to have one really as simple as that!

Old 11-23-2011, 06:53 PM

lol yeah is crazy i've slowed down now that I'm very happy with the 2 i have. although I'm thinking of upgrading the truck in a few years or adding a 3rd car to the collection

Old 11-24-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by 04chevyboy
Unless it was the 5th gen
HEY!!!!

I LOVE my 5th gen just fine!

Quick Reply: How did you get to the montes?