Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

How did you get to the montes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:09 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default How did you get to the montes?

Im just wondering how everybody on here got to loving the Montes?Mine was after my mom selling her 97 camaro rs when i was 6(loved that car) they test drove a monte carlo ls.Then 2 years ago i was at a car show that goes every friday night and saw this Supercharged SS and just fell in love with it and knew i had to have one

Old 11-21-2011, 11:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was hunting for my first car at age 17. I test drove a high mileage Cavi, a Lumina and my Monte Carlo. At the time I had no idea that the Lumina and Monte were practically the same car lol. I ended up buying the MC on the spot after test driving it. I didn't really know much about MC's at the time, but as soon as I bought it I hopped online and started browsing and came across MCF and other car forums. The mod bug hit and ever since I've been in love with my MC. By far the best purchase I've ever made

Old 11-21-2011, 11:26 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sweet! I just got my monte last spring as my first car.Had a hard time on deciding on getting the monte ss or an eclipse gt,but saw the yellow SS and fell in love.Knew i had to have her

Old 11-22-2011, 12:00 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I bought mine outta the back corner of a body shop always wanted a 6th gen ever sence i seen an all white hs ss & wen this one came up for sale being a gordon fan ikn i had to have it

Old 11-22-2011, 12:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2016
10 Year Member
Default Monte Lover

Your just born with it i guess lol, i've had an 78 now an 83 maybe look into an 6th generation if misses dont mine us having anotha toy!

Old 11-22-2011, 12:46 AM

My Monte belonged to my son in law. The car was in pieces. He was going to send it to a junk yard. I saved it from that fate. I put it back together and drove it daily for close to two years. It is off the road now. I have collected a lot of parts to restore it. Still need more parts. My car is one of 3017 turbo Monte Carlos.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

Have no idea why. Stray cars just seem to find me. I needed a commuter car that was safe and got decent mileage. Was looking for a Bonneville, might settle for an Impala with bucket seats. Saw a 2007 Monte in a lot and thought it was an Impala (don't hit me!!) so I stopped to look. That one was like new and out of my budget. But being a coupe I thought it was sweet and got added to the car search. Settled on the the one I got.

I've always used the Internets to find 'driver groups' and settled on MCF for the friendly groove. Following build up or mod threads is like reading the comics for me - I gotta follow the thread and see the outcome, even if I have no inclination to do the same.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I had a plan in motion to replace my daily driver, which is a '94 Grand Am. Almost since the day I bought the Grand Am (back in '03), I wanted a '97-'02 Grand Prix and it HAD to be a 3800 powered car.
In '08 my DD had 150,000ish miles. I had some cash saved up, went looking. My goal was that if anything happened and my DD puked one day, I was not in a crunch to replace it, I had something sitting and waiting (back then I drove 40+ miles, sometimes 80+ miles round trip to work). By the time I was shopping, I had reasons to no longer want that year range of Grand Prix (and yes, I knew at the time most items I could list, the Monte is built on the same platform). I'm not sure, but something made me really LOVE the blue/silver Montes.
Went shopping, found my blue and silver on eBay from a guy 4+ hours away. Made a deal outside of eBay when it did not sell, he met me half way, I gave him a cashiers check and I've been a fan since.

OH and that '94 Grand Am STILL runs (210,000+ miles). My wife agrees so long as the Grand Am runs or is inexpensive to fix, I can park the Monte during the winter.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

We are at cruise night and a friend of mine works at a local dealer and brought this very shinny new white SS to the car show to see if he could sell it well he comes over to where we are I'm in my Grand Prix and love W-Bodys so he said come see this new car well I go over and look at it and say wow beautiful he said start it and so I did and say this has a V8 doesn't it and he says yes well that was all it took I was hooked and told him give your best deal and picked it up that Monday.

Last edited by Mels SS; 12-31-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:14 AM

i loved the look for a wile on the 5th gen and my dad showed up one day with a red one i fell in love right away and i have had amazing times with it best car ever to bad rusting away cuz it went threw tornado

Quick Reply: How did you get to the montes?