Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Do you always wear your Seat Belts ?
Yes, Always : )
92.00%
No, never : (
4.00%
Sometimes ?
4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Do You ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 03:53 PM

always and forever, i, like many others like not smashing through my windshield with incredible force.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:45 PM

I always put mine on- its also automatic for me; my parents always had me buckle up first thing in the car- and that has carried on into my adult life.

I disagree with mandatory safety belt laws, and not wearing one resulting in a stoppable offense, it is a personal choice to belt up or not, failure to do so will only end up hurting you.
I also agree with this- the decision to wear one or not isn't impacting anyone else's life, and won't hurt anyone else (I suppose if you were ejected at high enough speed and managed to hit someone- but thats got to be a one in a trillion case)- so I don't see why you should get a ticket for it. Practically every other ticketable offense can directly effect other drivers.

sorry i believe in fate when its my time to go or get hurt its that time. besides knowing my luck ill wind up paralyzed from the eyebrows down. i want to make sure when i go its quick.
But if you can do something to increase your chances of surviving, why wouldn't you? Do you pull your airbag fuse too. IMO, its like a race car driver building a car with no roll cage, and going out on the track in shorts and a t-shirt. Sure its more likely the wreck will only be minor- but why die in an accident if you don't have to? Also, I don't personally feel the desire to smash my head into the steering wheel either.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks Member's for you input/posts: Good or Bad....
Right or Wrong.
EveryOne still has that choice, but I don't understand why
people don't want to be protected..., not just for themselves, but to those that would miss you or have to take care of you 4ever

Below are some reasons to buckle `up : )
Your Choice ? ?

Seat Belts are the best protection in a car accident.

Failure to wear a seat belt contributes to more fatalities than any other single traffic safety-related behavior. 63% of people killed in accidents are not wearing seat belts. Wearing a seat belt use is still the single most effective thing we can do to save lives and reduce injuries on America's roadways.
Data suggests that education alone is not doing the job with young people, especially males ages 16 to 25 ­ the age group least likely to buckle up. They simply do not believe they will be injured or killed. Yet they are the nation's highest-risk drivers, with more drunk driving, more speeding, and more crashes. Neither education nor fear of injury or death is strong enough to motivate this tough-to-reach group.
Rather, it takes stronger seat belt laws and high visibility enforcement campaigns to get them to buckle up.
Seat belts are the most effective safety devices in vehicles today, estimated to save 9,500 lives each year. Yet only 68 percent of the motor vehicle occupants are buckled. In 1996, more than 60 percent of the occupants killed in fatal crashes were unrestrained.
If 90 percent of Americans buckle up, we will prevent more than 5,500 deaths and 132,000 injuries annually.
The cost of unbuckled drivers and passengers goes beyond those killed and the loss to their families. We all pay for those who don't buckle up ­ in higher taxes, higher health care and higher insurance costs.
On average, inpatient hospital care costs for an unbelted crash victim are 50 percent higher than those for a belted crash victim. Society bears 85 percent of those costs, not the individuals involved. Every American pays about $580 a year toward the cost of crashes. If everyone buckled up, this figure would drop significantly.

Last edited by Space; 05-22-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

i ALWAYS wear my seatbelt. it's just a habit, i dont even think about it anymore. sometimes my friends make fun of me bcuz i'll get in the car to move like 3 feet & i'll put on my seatbelt subconsciously lol but its not a bad habit to have

Old 05-22-2010, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by JAFO
Become an automatic for me too, don't even think about it unless when i reach for it I can't find it then I realize what I'm doing. Turn signals are the same way, at my mom's her driveway has a fork in it, one leads to the parking pad the other leads to the side yard with the shed. Been several times I'll signal which drive I'm going to take and shake my head when I realize that I've done it!
hahaha, i do this too. il be going around a bend that only goes one way and ill realize i put my blinker on at the end. feel like a dumb a$$ at the other side but oh well

Old 05-22-2010, 09:55 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I always were my seat belt too. It just feels weird without one. Also, cops around where my dad lives, Cook County, have been really cracking down hard on seat belts. I see them standing near an intersection just checking everyone to see if someone doesn't have their belt on.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:12 PM
CMC
10 Year Member

Yeah, I grab mine every time. I'm also for it being the law, if it wasn't, a lot of people wouldn't do it. A lot of people are more concerned about not wanting a ticket than protecting their life, kind of sad really.

I don't believe in goulies and ghosts, but to put things into perspective for those of you that do, and say "when my time comes, it comes", well, I don't know about you but I'm not trying to help the Grim Reaper do his job.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:17 PM

All it took was one ticket, I never forgot after that. I got it within the first couple days of it being in effect too.