Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:31 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Dealerships

The battery is included in the factory warranty.

Well folks yet again the dealer has my '06 Monte. I called the roadside assistance number this morning and let them send someone out to jump the car.

WHY........... should I have to charge the #$%%^^& battery another time myself when they gave it a clean bill of health not even one week ago? Plus I'm paying for the factory warranty, why not use it?

I just know this issue has gone beyond annoying. And I told the woman from Chevy that when I talked to her on the phone this morning. She asked what they could do for me at this point and I told her, "Get them to fix this issue."

This makes at least time #4 the car has been there for a dead battery. And they say the car is fine. But it can not be!!!!

The service manager "Assured" me the car will set inside till I pick it up. We'll have to see about that part?

I just know I'm fed up with this. To the point of either them finding me another car orgetting my money back.

Oh, just wondering why I should go to the expense of buying and installing a battery myself when I still have several months left of the factory warranty on the car? Plus I paid foran extended warranty after that runs out.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:37 PM

Hi RJ,
Sorry to read that you are having problems with your Battery : (
Life sure can be a test of ones patience when it comes to problems with our cars, or our life.

I`ve learned the less you have, the less you have to worry about : )
I don`t have to much to worry `bout : ) lol

Check out the below links: (I hope it helps...Good Luck from
`Space & the Bum`s [:-]

Battery Warranty | Batteries | Parts Information | ACDelco
The battery that comes with a GM vehicle is covered by the limited warranty of three years or 36000 miles (48 months/4 years or 50000 miles, whichever comes ...
www.acdelco.com/parts/battery/battery-warranty.j... - 27k - Similar pages
http://www.acdelco.com/parts/battery...y-warranty.jsp
Rip-off Report: GMC AC Delco Defective Battery warranty ripo...
I own a 2002 GMC Envoy and two days before my three-year warranty expired on January 28th 2005 I was left stranded with a dead battery. ...
www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/131/RipOff0131153... - 54k - Similar pages
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...Off0131153.htm

Rip-off Report: AC Delco - GM Battery Leaking Acid...
AC Delco - GM Battery Leaking Acid Complaint ripoff Nationwide. ... The new AC Delco battery is still backed by the same warranty as before, ...
www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/127/RipOff... - 70k - Similar pages
[ More results from www.ripoffreport.com ]
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...Off0127287.htm[/align]MyGMConnection: Battery Warranty Coverage
Battery Warranty Coverage. On GM vehicles, batteries are covered in 3 ways: 1. The original equipment battery is covered under the terms of the new vehicle, ...
mygmconnection.blogspot.com/2008/07/battery-warr... - 68k - Similar pages

Old 11-03-2008, 01:11 PM

We beat the dealerships to death all the time when in fact it is something we did.. Adding radio, speakers, big amps, big old wheels and it goes on. When we take it to the dealer to fix they have no idea what the heck was done to this by us. Charging system just don't consist of a battery and alternator. A clock will kill a battery a trunk light a hood light so all and all the charging system is OK it is something else that is causing it. You have to take all into consideration we all do not think of all that when we are doing the work. Sometimes it is best to tell them your thoughts on why and what could be wrong. Has far has the bird s88it well if you drive it it is going to happen unless you live in a bird free world. If you go to the coast I am sure those seagulls are going to say oh we can't s**it on this car we have to chose a different one. Not happening. Car washers makes millions on that no matter how hard you tried it is going to happen if you drive...Machanics are there to make money if your car is in that space they need out you go they can't just say well we have to keep this in just for rj. Batteries are no more prone to failing then anything else. Being new does not make it breakfree...Beat me up on this but it is my 02 which is freedom of speech...

Old 11-03-2008, 05:18 PM
rj
15 Year Member

That's just it.

So far I've added to my '06 Monte:
Tailpipe extensions.
Door sill guards.
BOTH GM parts you can buy directly from GM.

Rally stripe kit.

None of what I've added to the car is electronic. So where's the extra draw on the battery coming from?

I don't know about all '00-'07 Montes but the two we own (2003 & 2006) you leave the trunk open for more then a few minutes, the trunk light goes out by itself. I don't see how that can be a problem? Neither car as an underhood light so that's not even in the equation.

You should be able to leave the trunk light, or dome light, or stereo on for several hours before it affects the battery. A healthy battery that is. Okay I did listen to the stereo a little on thursday evening. Once I turned the ignition to "Off" anything on the car should have been off within the next 10 minutes. Not including the stereo cause it needs a hot charge to keep the clock up to the proper time and to keep all your pre-set stations intacted. I have three pre-set stations I listen to.

But this is taken into account when the car is designed. Including the battery needed to properly run the car. Even when off and setting.

Remember the dealer "Fully" charged the battery on wednesday. My listening to the stereo for a while on thursday shouldn't have had any affect on the battery in that time frame. Not so the battery was dead on friday.

Today, it was so weak the dash wouldn't even light up when the driver's door was opened (it's never been that weak) and I haven't been in the car since saturday. I wanted to see if the battery had come back on it's own like some times happens with car batteries.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:22 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Whenever my delco battery fails (I have had the car almost 6 years and I think this is my 3rd delco(all replaced under warrenty)) I’m investing in an optima red top!

Old 11-03-2008, 08:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

I have an Optima red top in both the Intimidator SS and the Silverado, plus a yellow top in the trunk of the Intimidator. On my 4th or 5th year on the red top in the Monte. Some of the things like the batteries, and the brakes, which are basically not under warranty, I just started fresh, and put the Delco battery in the 01 when I sold it, along with the brakes. Sometimes it's just not worth the grief.
We have an Interstate deep cycle battery in the 82 Olds Regency

Old 11-04-2008, 12:43 AM

ORIGINAL: rj

That's just it.

So far I've added to my '06 Monte:
Tailpipe extensions.
Door sill guards.
BOTH GM parts you can buy directly from GM.

Rally stripe kit.

None of what I've added to the car is electronic. So where's the extra draw on the battery coming from?

I don't know about all '00-'07 Montes but the two we own (2003 & 2006) you leave the trunk open for more then a few minutes, the trunk light goes out by itself. I don't see how that can be a problem? Neither car as an underhood light so that's not even in the equation.

You should be able to leave the trunk light, or dome light, or stereo on for several hours before it affects the battery. A healthy battery that is. Okay I did listen to the stereo a little on thursday evening. Once I turned the ignition to "Off" anything on the car should have been off within the next 10 minutes. Not including the stereo cause it needs a hot charge to keep the clock up to the proper time and to keep all your pre-set stations intacted. I have three pre-set stations I listen to.

But this is taken into account when the car is designed. Including the battery needed to properly run the car. Even when off and setting.

Remember the dealer "Fully" charged the battery on wednesday. My listening to the stereo for a while on thursday shouldn't have had any affect on the battery in that time frame. Not so the battery was dead on friday.

Today, it was so weak the dash wouldn't even light up when the driver's door was opened (it's never been that weak) and I haven't been in the car since saturday. I wanted to see if the battery had come back on it's own like some times happens with car batteries.

RJ. do this and you will know if the battery is bad or what the the trouble is.. unhook the negitive terminal on the battery over night, hook it back up in the morning and see if it will start, if not for sure it is just the battery. That is a sure way of knowing. It is hard to find a short in the circuit unless you do a complete test on it. The dealer should of hook up the computer scan and be able to see if a open circuit is there that is if they know how to do it. The test is only good if the person doing it knows how to read it... I do think you have a bad battery but for sure it is up to the line I mention above to know for sure. with the seal battery you can't do a hydrometer test on them just a draw charge..Hope you can find the problem ok.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:49 AM
rj
15 Year Member

I'm pretty sure the battery is covered under the warranty. I mean so far they haven't charged me one cent for the times they've looked the car over. And I doubt they're doing this cause they like me or want to make me happy.

You would think if it wasn't covered, Chevy would have told me that on the phone yesterday. Unless they're looking at it as something's wrong with the car for it to keep draining the battery and THAT problem is covered. Whatever the problem is?

My two cents if the battery wasn'tcovered you'd get the phone company answer to the problem.
"If it's our line outside your house we'll fix it for free. But if the problem is something to do with the phone line in your house, there is a charge for fixing it."

Meaning: "If it's the car we'll fix the problem under warranty. If it turns out to be the battery then you'll get a bill from us."

When I first got the car and the battery has went dead a couple times I did un-hook the clamp off the battery post. The next time I hooked the cable to the battery there was still juice in the battery .

But this draining has gotten worse.

Friday Oct 24th battery was dead. I charged it forclose to 4 hours cause I needed to move the car.
Saturday Oct 25th the battery was dead again. I did charge it but only like 20 minutes cause I didn't want to stay up all night or leave the charger running.
Sunday Oct 26th of course the battery was dead. First I didn't charge it enough to bring the level up much the night before.
Wednesday Oct 29th I called the dealer about the problem. They said bring it in, so I did. They kept it all that day, said they FULLY charged the battery.
Thursday Oct 30th they said to come get the car, it was fine.
Friday Oct 31st I went to start the car, the battery was dead.
Okay they charged the battery with their charger and they gave it a clean bill of health. So why was it dead just over 24 hours after I got the car back? It should have been fine.
And then yesterday when they came to jump start the car the battery was so weak the dash didn't light up with I opened the driver's door.

It's just really irritating to have this problem time after time.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm with you 100% on this RJ. This is VERY poor service for something that shouldhave beena minor problem. When you first reported this problem to them, they should have tested the battery right away (takes about 5 minutes tops), and simply replaced it with a new one then and there. There should have been no reason for them to keep the car overnight. They also shouldn't have kept your car outside when they said they wouldn't. The fact that they told you they needed to put yours outside in order to put more important vehicles inside, was a slap in the face in my opinion.

As for the bird poop, you said it wasn't there when you dropped off the car. It was there when you arrived to pick it up. A decent dealership would have washed the car for you with out giving you any hassles. The Pontiac dealership I had my grand am serviced at regularly always washed the cars that came in for service(not including the quick lube bay).

Why have we as a society come to accept poor service? This kind of crappy service was never accepted by previous generations. Why do we just sit back and take it now?

IMHO...This whole mess could have (and should have) been taken care of in a half hour.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:03 AM
rj
15 Year Member

That's pretty close to what one of the guys I work with said, too.

It wasn't good service on the Chevy dealer's part to keep putting me through all this.

A guy who said he was one of Chevy's district managers (I believe that was his title?) called me on monday evening at about 7pm asking what he could do to make me happy? I told him like I told the girl I talked with monday morning, "Fix the problem."

He assured me he was going to contact the service manager and get to the bottom of this for me. So far (I mean today) no word back from him.

And they've now had the car two full days. Something must be going on. Or they just think I'm a fruit and the car is just setting down there not being worked on?

Quick Reply: Dealerships