Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Anyone into astronomy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

I haven't tried it yet either.
Here's some info on using Photoshop to stack - http://www.rocketroberts.com/astro/calibration.htm

Not sure if this is Mac friendly but a lot on the atsro forum use this - http://www.astronomie.be/registax/index.html

Old 12-03-2010, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the info, Becky. I'll check them out.

I made a list recently of Mac OS compatible stacking / digital processing software. There are a few options. I just haven't had time to research them to figure out which one to go with.

I had the binoculars out a couple nights ago instead of my scope. I had forgotten just how much fun that can be. It may seem counter-intuitive since they are smaller, but in many ways you can see so much more with bino's than with a telescope - as long as their objective lens is big enough to grab decent light. Mine are 70mm, bigger than normal bino's but not huge. The great thing is that you can see a wide swath of sky rather than just a tiny window; they offer great field-of-view. Finding faint objects is much easier with bino's. I remember spending hours searching for certain faint fuzzies and having no luck with my first scope. With bino's I found them in a matter of minutes. Good example: M36, M37, & M38 in the constellation Auriga. Had a horrible time finding them with my old scope. They are all open star clusters, not very bright. With my bino's, they're really easy to spot. You can't resolve any detail, they just look like fuzzy little blobs, but at least you can see where there are in relation to other nearby stars. That makes them easier to find in a scope.

Didn't stay out long as it was freezing, but had a good time. I hope to get my scope out this weekend if the weather cooperates.