Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Anyone into astronomy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 11:21 PM

love the pics, can't wait to see more.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:58 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

Pretty cool!

Well, the first night the skies were clear, the temp was nice but the wind was horrid. The second night just as it was getting dark enough to see anything the dang cold front blew in, bye-bye clear skies. The last night was clear, wind finally died but I about froze so that wasn't good either, however the skies were GORGEOUS I just couldn't handle the cold.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:12 AM

Crappy weather all weekend here for stargazing as well. The only night with relatively clear skies was very cold. That's when I got those shots of the moon.

I played with simple 'post processing' of my images over the weekend. Editing tools in iPhoto made a big difference, particularly in highlighting surface features on the moon. If interested, I can upload my edited images later tonight when I get home.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Photobucket

Originally Posted by Sparky-88
If interested, I can upload my edited images later tonight when I get home.
If interested??? Why of course we are! Will be waiting..........

Old 12-01-2010, 08:34 AM

Sorry, I didn't get any time on the home computer last night so no update on the pics. Other people said they had 'more important things to do,' like homework and grading papers. Some people... jeez...

Old 12-01-2010, 08:38 PM

Here are those same two photos I uploaded earlier but after some editing to bring out features.

Edit: I'm playing with the pic's. Bear with me if I screw this up...

Hmmm... I screwed up . Trying to get the pic's embedded full size instead of just thumbnails.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone into astronomy?-moon-24x-edited.jpg   Anyone into astronomy?-moon-30x-edited.jpg  

Last edited by Sparky-88; 12-07-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Playing w/pic's
Old 12-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Photobucket

I like

Old 12-01-2010, 09:03 PM

Using eyepiece-projection, the only method available to me at the moment, will never achieve great results. But I'll keep playing with it until I get a real camera that I can attach directly to the scope in prime-focus mode.

Getting a good focus this way is a pain. I have to keep going back and forth, trying to bracket the best focus. And even then it's a crap shoot. Low power is probably all I can ever do with this set-up. Unless I get a different higher-power eyepiece with longer eye relief so that I get a bigger image in the camera; that might make higher-power photos possible. I do have a great zoom eyepiece (Tele Vue 3-6mm), the best eyepiece in my collection, that I didn't try the other night. I need to look up it's eye-relief and see if it's any better. We'll see...

Near freezing conditions here again. At least the rain & clouds moved off for a while. Maybe I'll get my bino's out for a few minutes instead of dragging the telescope equipment out.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Photobucket

Are you taking several exposures and stacking or are these just singles?

I missed a great chance this morning for a pic of the moon, Venus, Saturn, and Spica in a weird sorta triangle pattern.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:12 PM

Just single shots. I need to get stacking software for my Mac. That should make a big difference in sharpness / resolution.

Have you tried stacking yet?

Quick Reply: Anyone into astronomy?