Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Anyone into astronomy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

The mount mine is on seems pretty good but I should have gotten a full size tripod instead of the "table top"version. Doesn't do much good to have a solid mount if the table isn't rock solid too. I've been looking for just the tripod part but haven't had any luck. Bought a heavier camera tripod (which I could do very short exposures with) but it's going back, it's not any better than my old one except it's a tad bit easier to work but not enough easier to make up the price difference.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by dustybird3
From what I understand, even the people that have really good tracking capabilities, still use relatively short exposures and stack. There is soooo much to learn about adjusting the photos and what to take - lights, darks, flats, subs, etc., needless to say I'm pretty confused, LOL. I'm going to try to find a good book. Wonder if they make an idiots guide for AP? I learned to build websites using one of those idiots guides, I'll have to check on an AP one.
Check out this site. I've read decent reviews on this guy's 'Beginner's Guide..."

http://www.astropix.com/

Old 11-22-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by dustybird3
The mount mine is on seems pretty good but I should have gotten a full size tripod instead of the "table top"version. Doesn't do much good to have a solid mount if the table isn't rock solid too. I've been looking for just the tripod part but haven't had any luck. Bought a heavier camera tripod (which I could do very short exposures with) but it's going back, it's not any better than my old one except it's a tad bit easier to work but not enough easier to make up the price difference.
A table-top mount is almost impossible to keep vibration-free. Especially if you plan to use high powers. You really need to get it solidly mounted on the ground. Which Orion scope/mount do you have? In my earlier post, I was mistakenly thinking you had one of the Meade Mak-Cass scopes.

Getting a good mount / tripod is at least half the battle. Even for strictly visual observing, a rock solid mount is paramount for high power work. Spending as much or more on a good mount/tripod vs the cost of scope is very common. (Well, lots of scopes nowadays come pre-packaged w/mount+tripod. But it's not always a GOOD mount or tripod.)

I built my own tripod out of 1x2" hardwood (I think I used maple) years ago. It's not readily adjustable like most store-bought tripods, but it's very stable.

I acquired a cheap tripod years ago with hollow aluminum legs. I significantly improved it's stability by filling the legs with sand. I've heard others use quick-set concrete mix along with lead shot to fill hollow legs. Improves stability and lowers the center of gravity as well. Surveyors tripod are commonly used by amateur astronomers. They have the same need for a solid / stable mounting.

There are some good tripods out there, but they usually run a couple hundred $ or more. I spent a couple hundred $ on my alt-az mount (just the head), and use it with one of my low-budget but stable tripods.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Photobucket

I have an Orion Apex 90mm Mak-Cass w/ mini EQ mount. The head is fine, it's those little short legs that are a PITA. I was going to just get the scope and use a camera tripod because it'll mount straight up to it but it was only $20 more for the EQ. I've been looking at surveyors tripods in pawn shops but not real sure how to fasten the mount EQ mount head to it, the bolts are different sizes. Hubby could make me a solid base/tripod, just getting him to do it is another story. Setting it on our heavy picnic table works fairly well as long as my cat doesn't think he has to get up there and clean himself. Actually my camera tripod works ok too for just the scope or scope camera but I can't use the EQ with it. I think if I lock up the mirror and use a shutter release cable I can get rid of a lot of the vibration.

Thanks for the link. I had seen that one before and will probably end up getting it, I just wish it was in book form instead of cd, I like paper books.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:46 AM
Photobucket

Thought you might like this weekly sky guide - http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/ataglance

They have an app too.

Headed to dark skies tonight. Please stay away clouds!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:22 AM

Thanks, Becky! Looks like a handy site. For about the past 20 years, I had a subscription to Sky & Telescope magazine. We accidentally let it lapse last year; haven't gotten around to renewing it yet. But it's always been a great observing resource. Now most (all?) of the reference material is available via their web site as well.

Thinking about mounts / tripods again... Years ago I purchased a used telescope / mount / tripod combination through Astromart. It was a cheap beginner set-up made by Meade. But it was dirt cheap. The telescope was promptly stuck in a closet corner where it still sits today. But I adapted the mount / tripod to work with my scope. The mount was a simple GoTo type. I never had one and wanted to experiment with one but without spending a fortune. I just had to make an adapter to allow it to work with my scope. The tripod is the one I mentioned earlier that I improved by filling with sand making it more stable. I eventually sold the mount but still have the tripod. So even though I got rid of the mount and never used the scope, the tripod alone was worth the modest purchase price.

My thought is that if you want to get a decent mount and/or tripod, don't rule out buying used. You can very often find great deals online. Just do your research ahead of time to see what's available and then see if you can find it (or something like it) online. There's really not too many mounts/tripods to chose from. Astromart now charges a one-time fee ($15 I think) for membership. But it would generally pay for itself the first time you buy something.

Enjoy those dark skies! Hopefully those pesky clouds will stay away. Friday night will be the only chance I may have to get my scope out. I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us!

Old 11-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Photobucket

I'm definitely not oppsed to buying a used tripod/mount. Like you said, gotta do my research first.

Fingers crossed here too.

Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving!

Old 11-25-2010, 10:30 AM

I got my scope out yesterday! But the sky was completely socked in with clouds...

I hooked up my Orion SteadyPix camera mount as well. That's a poor man's astrophotography rig. My wife got it for my a while ago, but I had never tried it out. I should have taken a pic of my set-up. I will next time. It's definitely not great, but better than nothing to try taking pic's of bright objects (moon, sun w/filter) with a point-n-shoot camera. It holds the camera so that the image coming out the eyepiece is projected onto the camera lens. Attached are some sample terrestrial shots with this rig.

Assuming the skies clear this week, I'll try getting some shots of the moon. I'll give Jupiter a try as well, but don't hold much hope. I really need to hook up the scope in 'prime focus' mode, with the scope acting as the camera lens. Can't do that with our point-n-shoot Canon; no adapter to hook it up. So planets will likely have to wait until we get a new DSLR.

Happy Thanksgiving. Praying for clear skies!

Attached Thumbnails Anyone into astronomy?-img_1317.jpg   Anyone into astronomy?-img_1319.jpg   Anyone into astronomy?-img_1320.jpg  
Old 11-25-2010, 12:56 PM

Here's a couple shots of my 'poor man's astrophotography rig.'

Attached Thumbnails Anyone into astronomy?-steadypix-w-camera.jpg   Anyone into astronomy?-scope-w-camera.jpg  
Old 11-26-2010, 11:15 PM

Skies cleared tonight. Very cold, but I got out for a while to see what my SteadyPix rig could do with the moon. Attached are a couple shots I took.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone into astronomy?-moon-23-3.jpg   Anyone into astronomy?-moon-30-1.jpg  

Quick Reply: Anyone into astronomy?