Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

> 40+ Tips to Improve your Grammar and Punctuation <

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Talking > 40+ Tips to Improve your Grammar and Punctuation <

Hi Member's,
I just received a email from one of the senior citizen's that helped raise me & my beachbum friends. Several of my senior friends visit our forum to read our posts. My grandfather & several senior citizens home-school us because the public school was to far away from our beach village.

They constantly tell me that I am butchering the English language & that I have very bad grammar , & that they taught us better...

I thought I better take a refresher course & found the below to see `if I can improve....I'm just sharing, because I care , and maybe it will also help a member `if they want to improve their Grammar & Punctuations skills.

(I know I've created my own writing style to `be different & unique (Because I feel different then the rest ) LOL 4-Sure
Found the below from the "Dumb Little Man" LOL & it has some decent links/infor.
P.S. If you have any links on this subject ? Please share & post `it OK ....Thanks
Welcome to Dumb Little Man! Each week we provide a handful of tips that will save you money, increase your productivity, or simply keep you sane.
40+ Tips to Improve your Grammar and Punctuation

After all these years you finally have the courage and opportunity to write the email announcing that you and you alone have single handedly saved the company from utter disaster. You're excited, you type it, you spell check it, and you hit send.

Everything is great except that your gold star memo has dangling modifiers, double negatives and run-on sentences colliding with each other.

Now I am no grammar whiz but I know a good resource when I see it. Purdue University maintains an online writing lab and I spent some time digging through it. Originally the goal was to grab some good tips that would help me out at work and on this site, but there is simply too much not to share.

Learn and enjoy!

Adjectives and adverbsNounsPrepositionsPronounsSentence structureVerbsApostrophes and Quotation MarksCommasHyphensOther punctuationSentence PunctuationSpelling

Last edited by Space; 06-09-2012 at 11:19 AM.