Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Improve hp and MPG thru exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 06:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Improve hp and MPG thru exhaust

so im just doing some research, and i was wondering what is the most basic, way to mod my exhaust in a way to improve power and mpg, ive been reading about catback exhaust and downpipes, i just want to know to clear up some of my confusion so that i may look deeper into this, thanks guys

Old 06-11-2013, 06:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Catback duels and resonator delete has improvedmine...with chambered mufflers... (Excellerator chambered mufflers) nice tone also!

Old 06-11-2013, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Catback duels and resonator delete has improvedmine...with chambered mufflers... (Excellerator chambered mufflers) nice tone also!
what kind of improvements did u see?

Old 06-11-2013, 07:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There are no gains in the catback. Free up the downpipe. Get a real Cai and you'll be decent. Don't expect big changes

Old 06-11-2013, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
There are no gains in the catback. Free up the downpipe. Get a real Cai and you'll be decent. Don't expect big changes
i believe ive read that the downpipe reduces backpressure which improves mpg and power is that correct?

Old 06-11-2013, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member

funny thing i was searching on youtube for the sound i would like and i stumbled upon this link, i really like this setup and would be the setup i would pick....but i realized it belong to member red nightmare....nice setup

Old 06-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Sounds like mine I have SLP Loud mouths..Everyone say's mine sound Nice.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Some food for thought:
I agree on these cars, the best way to improve MPG is a good CAI and a downpipe with high flow cat.
But, anyone I've read that has done this (including myself) got very small MPG increase (but a little extra in performance and they are great beginning mods for supporting bigger/better mods in the future).

BUT - If your complete motivation behind it is simply to remove good stuff in hopes of improving MPG, is the cost of making these changes worth the minor improvement in MPG (how long will it take you to save at the pump to pay for making these changes)?

Not trying to be a downer, just a thought. Trust me, I'm all for mods lol (once you start, it's hard to stop)....

Old 06-12-2013, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Some food for thought:
I agree on these cars, the best way to improve MPG is a good CAI and a downpipe with high flow cat.
But, anyone I've read that has done this (including myself) got very small MPG increase (but a little extra in performance and they are great beginning mods for supporting bigger/better mods in the future).

BUT - If your complete motivation behind it is simply to remove good stuff in hopes of improving MPG, is the cost of making these changes worth the minor improvement in MPG (how long will it take you to save at the pump to pay for making these changes)?

Not trying to be a downer, just a thought. Trust me, I'm all for mods lol (once you start, it's hard to stop)....
Good insight. But I agree it is hard to stop thinkin abojt ways to improve the monte. I'm jus eager to do this so that I gain more experience and learn. So overall I will do these mods over time....as long as nothing sets of the check engine light

Old 06-12-2013, 05:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

No problem man. Modding is fun and experience and knowledge is also great to have. Just so long as you've considered and weighed the cost vs outcome. And if you are happy with that, go for it

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Improve hp and MPG thru exhaust