New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

I want to improve Performance AND MPG. Where to Start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 12:25 PM
1 Year Member
Cool I want to improve Performance AND MPG. Where to Start?

Hey everyone, Im james from Seattle WA. I currently own a 2007 Chevy Monte Carlo 3.5 l engine (V6).

I am looking to spend some money to make my car not only perform better but also get better Mileage.

Can I get some suggestions on where to start first
ALSO I want to improve the look of my car as well. but I will be starting with performance and MPG improvement as this will pay it self back much faster. Any suggestions on customization?

SO far I have already ordered some new rotors and brake pads and I have ordered some fog lights to add on. I have also ordered a "performance" chip.
Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would be great!

Old 11-22-2013, 12:34 PM

Performance chips are ripoffs. You're better of tuning your pcm.

As for your first question, I say headers if they make em for the v6 model.

A good air intake will help, and do your best to not 'floor' it.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:04 PM
1 Year Member

Can you explain what "Tuning your PCM" means

Also What is a header

And lastly is there a GOOD air intake that you could recommend

Thank you for your help so far. Just trying to get myself in the right direction.

I purchased a "performance CHip" because my mechanic recommended it. He is an honest guy and I figured why not try it.

Originally Posted by Jomao_o
Performance chips are ripoffs. You're better of tuning your pcm.

As for your first question, I say headers if they make em for the v6 model.

A good air intake will help, and do your best to not 'floor' it.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:13 PM

Headers allow your engine to breathe, honestly I do not know if they are available for your model.

Tuning your pcm allows you to mod in a detailed fashion.

Post a link to the chip you purchased.

Every one goes to CAI for intakes. They seem pretty solid.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by KingOf206
Hey everyone, Im james from Seattle WA. I currently own a 2007 Chevy Monte Carlo 3.5 l engine (V6).

I am looking to spend some money to make my car not only perform better but also get better Mileage.

Can I get some suggestions on where to start first
ALSO I want to improve the look of my car as well. but I will be starting with performance and MPG improvement as this will pay it self back much faster. Any suggestions on customization?

SO far I have already ordered some new rotors and brake pads and I have ordered some fog lights to add on. I have also ordered a "performance" chip.
Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would be great!
Hey james! Good to see another monte in the NW, I'm in tacoma/jblm area. Performance chips for the monte carlos are basically non factors. We are a pretty specialty car. Your mechanic was probably speaking generally and didn't speacilize In monte carlos. A tuned PCM is a custom programing of your power control module or computer to maximize performance and gas milage. I'd start with a cold air intake from cold air inc. And also welcome to the forum.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:50 AM
1 Year Member

Here is the link to the Chip I ordered. It will be installed tomorrow. What are your thoughts? (there are 2 products, the one I got is the "Stage 1" Jet Performance Chip Module (PCM) - 910+ Reviews on Jet Chips Stage 2 & 1 Power Control Modules

Headers allow your engine to breathe, honestly I do not know if they are available for your model.

Tuning your pcm allows you to mod in a detailed fashion.

Post a link to the chip you purchased.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:52 AM
1 Year Member

Where Is CAI on the web? I searched for it and I got hundreds of "Cold Air Intake" websites, which one are you referring to?

Old 11-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by KingOf206

Where Is CAI on the web? I searched for it and I got hundreds of "Cold Air Intake" websites, which one are you referring to?
Iv read alot of bad reviews about the jet chips. Return it. Do not plug it in to your car.

Look for "cold air inductions"

Old 11-25-2013, 11:14 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
Hey james! Good to see another monte in the NW, I'm in tacoma/jblm area. Performance chips for the monte carlos are basically non factors. We are a pretty specialty car. Your mechanic was probably speaking generally and didn't speacilize In monte carlos. A tuned PCM is a custom programing of your power control module or computer to maximize performance and gas milage. I'd start with a cold air intake from cold air inc. And also welcome to the forum.
Thank you for your welcome! I am glad to be a part of the Chevy owners!!

SO I went to Cold Air Inc, and They did not have something available for my vehicle, which is a 3.5 L engine V6. SO I submitted my car to have them look into making something for me (I dont have high hopes for this, but we will see)

Also, How would I begin to "tune my PCM" ? Is this something I can just ask my mechianic to do or where would I go to start this?

Thank you for all your help!!

Old 11-25-2013, 11:38 AM

The 3.5 doesnt have any decent mods for either MPG or performance, sorry bud, I went from a 3.5 06 LS to a 5.3 SS. This is from experience

Quick Reply: I want to improve Performance AND MPG. Where to Start?