Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

VERY slow takeoff

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 08:27 PM
Default VERY slow takeoff

Hey Everyone,
I own an 83 monte with the 305 and 4bbl quadra.
Just got the car.
When i start the car I get a hard start but she eventually starts and idles smooth.
When i try to give it gas it starts to die the picks back up and revs.
If i drop her into drive and try to give her gas she does the same thing.
If i get her on the road it takes a long time to get her up to any kind of speed higher than an idle will produce.
I about have to floor it to get it to accelerate. And even that is slow.
I dont think its the carb because i just had it Shop rebuilt.
So im thinking it could be the ecm.
Any ideas at all are welcome.

Old 01-01-2006, 12:02 AM
Default RE: VERY slow takeoff

when the shop rebuilt the carb did they replace the fuel filter. it is located right where the fuel feed goes to the carb. it will be labeled filter. it is a small filter the costs a couple bucks at a local parts house. easiest and cheepest fix. id start there, even if the filter was replaced at the shop when it was rebuilt id replace it again.

Old 01-02-2006, 10:18 AM

Bought a new Filter for the inside of the carb, also replaced the inline fuel filter. has not made much of a difference. Runs great at idle just runs like crap when I am in gear trying to move.

Old 01-02-2006, 03:25 PM

you might want to check base timing. did the shop rebuild the carb and put it on the vehicle after rebuild? maybe the floats are not set properly. somewhere you are not getting efficient fuel. if you know how to adjust your fuel meters try to bump them up a little to add more fuel. the other option is you may have a pump getting weak.

Old 01-02-2006, 03:35 PM

I'd say it's gotta be in the timing.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:31 AM

it is in the timming or a weak fule pump.
most likly the fule pump.
You said you have a inline filter in teh car if it is clear or if not get one and check to see how much fule is there when the car is at idel if it is not atleast 1/2 full of fule your pump is week.
Also how many miles are on it? could be that the cam lobe is wore out on it and this is the issue with the pump. I have not see this offten but it could happen as that pump is still cam driven on that model year if im right. If this is the case just take and go get a ele. fule pump and put it on the car and eliminate the cam pump all to geather. they are much more effiaint any way.

also you might try PMing Boost on here he races this style car and could give you some tips to more then likly