Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Service Traction Light and ABS and Traction off Lights came on. WHY??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 01:20 PM

A generic tool wont pull ABS codes. I suggest stopping at a dealer/shop next time while its on and have them scan it. The 40-80 bucks is well worth it instead of throwing parts at it.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:29 PM
1 Year Member

Will do thanks bro!!!

Old 01-27-2013, 02:20 PM

it is usually the right front hub national bear is a good bearing thet bought out timkin put a can of sea foan in your tank and fill with half reg snf hlf high test and see if that helps. If you spin your wheels like in a snow storm it will throw that code you might need to get it resest could be a simple fix maybe the wire broke ocame uplugged

good luck

Old 01-27-2013, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by boggie
it is usually the right front hub national bear is a good bearing thet bought out timkin put a can of sea foan in your tank and fill with half reg snf hlf high test and see if that helps. If you spin your wheels like in a snow storm it will throw that code you might need to get it resest could be a simple fix maybe the wire broke ocame uplugged

good luck
What are you talking about? Link to where National bought Timken. I have replaced hubs on every corner of customer cars, not just the RF.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:01 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by boggie

good luck
Thanks I will definatly look into it!!!

Old 01-27-2013, 04:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When your ABS light comes on, you have an ABS code in the ABS computer. Most ODBII scan tools cannot read the ABS computer (or have limitations). It may also an issue that if the code is not active, the scan tool you are using may not be able to read historical codes.

I know on my '02 Grand Am GT, I had the SVS, ABS and Trac Off lights all on, the ABS computer provided a code for a failed wheel speed sensor. Followed the shop book diags and found sure enough a dead sensor (harness was good, wires good, sensor dead). Replaced the hub and instantly ALL those light were gone.

If you are still turning on the Monte and the ABS light is on and your scan tool reports no brake related codes, get a different scan tool hooked up. It's clearly NOT reading the ABS computer in your Monte. I know the Snap-On scan tool I use can read the ABS data in the Monte.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:30 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks Bro I appreciate the help, If it comes on again I will definatly do what you mentioned.