Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

ABS Light On - Traction Off - Service Traction System

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Default ABS Light On - Traction Off - Service Traction System

I have a 2000 Monte Carlo SS with the 3.8Liter Non-supercharged with 222,666 exact miles. I know. Anyway I recently put about $12,000 into the vehicle over the past year, new transmission, complete AC system, radiator, water-pump, exhaust system, tires, front hub assemblies, front cv axles. Anyway came out of the house yesterday got in the car started it up and the ABS Light came on, Traction Off came on and the service traction system light came on. Read some past forums none resolved the issue, I have no ABS codes when I have it checked out. I messed around with it all day checking the plugs they all seem secure but one thing I did notice is that if you start the vehicle the lights will come on automatically but when you start the vehicle with your foot on the brake the lights will NOT come on but as soon as you remove your foot and/or place it in drive or reverse the lights come on.

1. I did not do any burn-outs or anything

2. I unplugged the battery

3. I checked brake fluid

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 03-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Default wingman4ever1

My son has a 02 Monte SS and he had same problem, I ended up replacing the Traction Control Brake Module! I bought it from ECM's & MAf'S (www.AUTOECMS.com), they were the cheapest, it may be re-built but it fixed the problem! I had a Chevy dealer install it for about $300, the part cost about $350, so it all wasn't cheap but there was no other choice. Now the air bag lite is on! Never ending!!!!

Old 03-07-2012, 11:00 AM

I also had an issue awhile back with the Trac Off and ABS lights. It was very intermittent. Some days it would come on, others not. The only thing that I could notice different was that it had been very wet/rainy. I tried to search the forums as well, there are a few potential solutions but nothing 100% successful.

I believe some people have found their wiring harnesses to be shorted out and replaced those.

Personally, I just kept trying to figure out what the issue was...but then a month or so after it started, it just stopped. Haven't had it come back in almost a year now and hoping it doesn't.

Good luck!

Old 03-07-2012, 11:29 AM

i had my lights come on dash trac and brack light and was wheel hub assembly and needed a little brack fluid and problem solved dont know if this helps but there is my fix....i dont think mine said anything about service it though

Old 03-07-2012, 12:41 PM

Our cars can be very finicky. Mine has had this same issue off and on since September. It's a worn sensor, or a dirty sensor usually. I find mine comes on when I start the car and it's in the mid-50s or less outside.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Default ABS Light and Traction Control Light

What I found to be a big part of the reason of the lights being on is the wire coming out of the wheel bearings are very easily broken do to the poor design on all 2000-2005 models.

What I did was use heat shrink after I soldered the wires back together.

No problems for three years now.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:52 PM

I tried everything even used my buddy's snap-on scanner and all ABS Sensors are reading. For giggles I installed two new front hubs and did the cv axles as well. I do notice from time to time the lights remain off so its either a bad motor which is what the scanner said or a bad ground somewhere which is yielding that code of a bad motor. Maybe this weekend if it is nice i'll take a look. (Always seems that every time I have of it is raining and every time I have to work its very nice).

Old 06-09-2012, 12:20 AM

does anyone know where the motor is located?

Old 06-09-2012, 07:55 PM

The most common source of this problem for GMs is the wheel speed sensor. It is just easier to replace the whole hub, because I've yet to see just replacing the sensor last for longer than 2 weeks.

Source: I'm an auto tech.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:32 PM

The first thing I would do is check the front wheel bearing sensor wires on both sides. If you can in a safe manor have someone inside of the car and someone outside wiggling the sensor wires to see if the go on and off. If so there is the problem. I soldered mine and put heat shrink on the wire for more support.
#2 take the center council top off to check the wiring going to the Trac Button.
I had one wire melt and had to replace it. That wire was melted because when my car was broken into and the dimmer wire was grounded out. (that wire is orange).

Last edited by chris24car; 06-10-2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: forgot something to say

Quick Reply: ABS Light On - Traction Off - Service Traction System