Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Need a fuel pump what is best way to go.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 08:21 AM
Default Need a fuel pump what is best way to go.

Hi,

Have a 2002 Monte Carlo. Been a great car.

And for 9 years have never ran out of Gas.

Yesterday wham got caught up was going to get gas passed gas station and in the country Gas far and wide. So I ran out. Put four gallons in nothing.

Got it Towed pulled fuel pump after googling this situation and found that I did indeed burn out the pump.

My question.

It is Friday I have three options The first two I can get the car running today. I pulled tested and refitted the old fuel pump in 1 hour. The third requires shipping so I am looking at Monday Tuesday at latest. Also cost I want to best for the car but also I am not adverse to saving money while doing it.

Go Buy a new one locally for about $200-$250 Either Dealer or after Market

Go buy a Used OEM salvage one for $75

Order one online and I found a really good site called parts Geek that has them over a cheep wide range of prices.

02 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Fuel Pump - Fuel Delivery - Airtex, Autobest, Bosch, Delphi, Denso - PartsGeek

The question is.

The consensus googling is that the OEM fuel pump is cheep/crappy. True or not true? Mine lasted for 9 years but the vehicle only has 61,000 miles and I only have had it for 2 years from a family member so I know pump is original. So do I go with OEM or aftermarket?

I know that If I run out of gas again that the fuel pump has a 99% probability of burning up if I do OEM. But is that a design flaw because of the use of fuel to keep the pump working and running it dry burns it up. Will the aftermarkets have the same design and thus "flaw" or be better made to run dry? I know that there are water pumps and I am talking Non vehicle pumps just utility type ones that because of their design states don't run dry will burn up or can run dry with no problems. Didn't know if this could fit in an OEM VS aftermarket fuel pump situation.

I am actually looking at the Bosch one for $154.10 from Parts Geek. but that is the wait 304 days option.
Is this the best option or can I go OEM used or seek out the best priced Aftermarket I can find and have it running today. The thing is if the Aftermarkets still behave like the OEM when ran dry then if I can't find one within the price range of the online one I will wait for the Bosch.

Thoughts people?

Thank You

Michael

PS. I have ADHD thus my ability to obliviously fly by gas stations. I have ran out of gas a few times in other vehicles and have coasted into the gas station on fumes. That isn't going to change with me. The thing is I have ran out Numerous times in the same Vehicle. have ran gas out of diesel tractors and other equipment where I have had to prime the system to start, I have never lost a fuel pump. I have ADHD am a busy self employed person doing the job of 3 so I push my limits and taking 10-15 minutes to stop and refill are big inconveniences when I am trying to the work of many in a day. So I definitely push the gauge and so my habits are not going to change. I will get this situation again.

Last edited by Shutech; 10-19-2012 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Add a PS
Old 10-19-2012, 08:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Many people like to drop in the walbro 255 fuel pump as the replacement.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A little advice from someone who sells auto parts.
Avoid Airtex at all costs!!! They are garbage.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Save yourself a lot of time and aggravation - buy an AC Delco or Delphi pump. There are several aftermarket pumps on the market for less money, but the lower price is reflected in the high failure rate of those pumps.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Many people like to drop in the walbro 255 fuel pump as the replacement.
This.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Save yourself a lot of time and aggravation - buy an AC Delco or Delphi pump. There are several aftermarket pumps on the market for less money, but the lower price is reflected in the high failure rate of those pumps.
+1 I wont put in a pump unless it is a Delco or Deplhi.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2015

Originally Posted by aussiek2000
+1 I wont put in a pump unless it is a Delco or Deplhi.
Ya work at OReillys have lots of promblems with Airtex OReillys got rid of them get a Delphi from OReillys.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

i dropped in a racetronics pump into turbo monte but i needed alot of fuel haha. and the racetronics are not drop in replacements. i heard good things about the walbro 255 but i never used one. if your bone stock either look into the walbro or a factory pump.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:44 PM

What brand fuel pumps would you recommend on the cheap ? low cost ?

Replacement brand ?

Old 01-11-2013, 07:50 PM

Does the whole fuel pump assembly have to be replaced or can the fuel pump motor pump just replaced at a far lower price ?
Are these fuel pumps for these 2000 to 2005 Monte Carlos serviceable ?
The reason I ask is when I do a web search at some auto parts web sights I do not see the whole fuel pump assembly but a few parts and a motor.

Quick Reply: Need a fuel pump what is best way to go.