Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Yikes!!trac off abs service traction system lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 03:40 AM
Default Yikes!!trac off abs service traction system lights

this is my 3rd 6th generation Monte i had a 2000 SS & 2 2001's LS on both of my 2001's i noticed that the trac off,service traction system ABS light comes on & goes off from time to time,any one of you guys ever had this problem with your 2000-05 Monte? on my first 2001 Monte those lights came on but they would go off somtimes,but then they never went off at all they just stayed on all the time now my 2nd 2001 Monte is starting to display those same"service traction system,trac off ABS" lights how can i correct this issue? any help would be gr8 thanx

Old 03-26-2010, 05:45 AM

Start by cleaning the speed sensor of each hub. Sometimes dirt can mess around with the connections. If that fails, one of your hubs may need to be replaced. Check the hubs for excessive play to determine which one is faulty and replace.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by montyss02
start by cleaning the speed sensor of each hub. Sometimes dirt can mess around with the connections. If that fails, one of your hubs may need to be replaced. Check the hubs for excessive play to determine which one is faulty and replace.
ok i will try that out good lookin out

Old 03-26-2010, 08:41 PM

montyss02 how do you [I]clean the sensors [I]they are integral to the wheel hub/bearing? i'm a certified mechanic and you cannot clean that style of sensor. the pickup trucks, fullsize vans, equinox/torrent yes you can clean the sensor but not cars or minivans.

teamfbody one or possibly more of your wheel bearing has a resistance higher than the EBCM can recognize so it doesn't see a wheel speed value 9/10 times its a bad wheel speed sensor but it one piece with the bearing and is not serviceable by itself you need to replace a bearing.
trust me on this one

Old 03-26-2010, 09:41 PM

Oops, I meant the "speed sensor connectors". I'm sure the OP got the message, but in case he didn't is best I clear the air. And I'm not a certified anything, but being trilingual sometimes gets in the way.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:47 PM

wow suprised youre not getting b'd at for not searching around LOL, but yeah its probably your wheel hub assembly, like they said start by cleaning teh connections.
by the way, is there any chance this only happens when its wet?? cause that was the same exact problem i was having, for some reason when i got my new rims and was able to get the pressure washer to spray through them it didnt happen any more, how about that huh??

Old 03-26-2010, 09:56 PM

honest mistake on cleaning the connections at the wire harness that is a possibility. and wet conditions are a definate red flag on the wheel hub.
WATER INTRUSION IS THE #1 CAUSE FOR FAILURE ON ANY HUB STYLE BEARING/SENSOR ASSEMBLY

Old 03-26-2010, 10:00 PM

i dont quuite understand why, cause after i got my new wheels like i said i could get teh pressure washer in there,now i wash my car like every other day, and the rims are what i spray the most, so are the sensors somewhere other than behind the rims. the lights havnt come on in about 3 weeks now?? LOL im so dam confused, also could this be a problem if i dont get it fixed??

Old 03-27-2010, 12:47 AM

I'd suggest for you to buy a Hines/Chilton manual, read up on the subject and, once you get all your tools together, go to town replacing the hubs (if they need to be replaced). Besides, you should always buy the manual for your car just in case you need to fix something. Any specialized tools you may need you can rent from Pep Boys/Autozone/Advance, like the gear puller you'll need to remove the hubs. Good luck with it.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:34 AM

it is not a hard thing to do to replace the hubs on our monte it is time consuming do to how much you have to remove to get to the hubs. after you replace them it will last you far a freat while with out problems. plus no more codes the tools that i am aware of is the gear puller for the hubs and the cv joints when removing and install the hub the rest is basic tools.

Quick Reply: Yikes!!trac off abs service traction system lights