Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

RWD conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 06:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Monte SSV
There is a GM proto type here in SE Michigan and I have seen it at a couple shows. If I remember correctly it was an LS3 adapted sideways to the stock 4T65E that was bolted to the original 3.8L - I think the year of the car was 2000 It is street legal. That is the only Prototype I know of. My cars are not prototypes, were never in any auction and are all street legal.
the car I was talking was the one...
"Originally Posted by The_Maniac
GM actually had a 5th gen RWD concept car! It was a bright green one I believe it was before the platform was officially moved to FWD. Under the hood, the strut towers and such looked very 4th gen f-body.
Curious how things would have been for the Monte had GM gone RWD back then...."

Old 02-24-2015, 12:02 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Oops, I got confused there for a minute. Anyways just so everyone knows - Zippy02 started another thread/posts on my new project for me. A true RWD and not a conversion. It's a body off onto a custom frame. I know if you search 'Rear Wheel Drive-It's happening' - the Thread will come up.

Old 09-05-2021, 11:10 AM
Default Body swap for standard

I was wondering if anyone has tried a body swap onto a GTO for 02-06 of both styles. I want rear wheel drive and standard this seems to be a good setup. Possible for other with close wheelbase?

Old 09-05-2021, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Garrett99
I was wondering if anyone has tried a body swap onto a GTO for 02-06 of both styles. I want rear wheel drive and standard this seems to be a good setup. Possible for other with close wheelbase?
IMO youre better off starting a new thread if youre seriously considering this. Bumping such an old thread like this usually just ends up with people responding to the older posts that they end up reading first, especially with a thread that's fairly long like this where some don't even make it to the bottom.

I've never seen a monte swapped with a GTO chassis, but its really no different than swapping with any other unibody car. It's completely feasible it just either takes an enormous pile of cash (to pay a shop to do it with reasonable hourly labor rates) or an enormous amount of fab skill to DIY it.

Maniac made a great point at the beginning of this thread - the question gets asked probably weekly across the various popular 3800 forums. Out of the people that ask, only a handful out of the last 20-25 years have ever followed through. The vast majority don't have the welding/ fabrication skills (because otherwise they wouldn't be asking in the first place) and of that group almost no one can stomach the cost to have a legit shop build it.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 09-05-2021 at 02:18 PM.