Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

RWD conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:12 PM
Default RWD conversion

hello, i just recently got a 2002 monte carlo with the ls engine and trans with the ss body style. i was wondering if there would be any way i could put a better engine in it. along with a set of coilovers. is there any specific way i should go about doing this?
thanks for helping the nobbie out guys lol

Old 01-14-2014, 09:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

that involves alot of work. there was one member here that did a RWD swap with an LS v8 i believe.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Many people talk about doing a RWD conversion, but few follow through. There is no "out of the box" kit. It requires a lot of custom fabrication work. As a result it requires either money to have a shop do it or time/skill/tools to do it yourself.
But, it can be done.

As Shocker mentioned, there is one member on MCF.com that has done it (and may be the only one I'm aware of). This member chooses not to share anything about his build, which in turn, upset a lot of people that admired his car. We'll leave it at that.

If you wish to pursue a RWD conversion, rest assured, people here would love progress pics and information about such a build.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:54 PM

Easiest way(and thats relitive) would be to use a g-body frame and suspension/driveline. They are very close to the w-body wheelbase/trackwidth.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Many people talk about doing a RWD conversion, but few follow through. There is no "out of the box" kit. It requires a lot of custom fabrication work. As a result it requires either money to have a shop do it or time/skill/tools to do it yourself.
But, it can be done.

As Shocker mentioned, there is one member on MCF.com that has done it (and may be the only one I'm aware of). This member chooses not to share anything about his build, which in turn, upset a lot of people that admired his car. We'll leave it at that.

If you wish to pursue a RWD conversion, rest assured, people here would love progress pics and information about such a build.
Well the new scuttle butt is another rear wheel drive conversion on a 2002 Monte is in the design phase. Not mine but someone I know who recently completed an 07 build. Going to be quite the project if it gets off the ground this spring.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yep heard it can be done if ya got the cash and patience to so a LOT of fabrication but is it worth it?

Old 03-07-2014, 08:06 AM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Tadd: It becomes worth it once you reach a point in your life when the alternative is old age and no longer having the ability to accomplish a life long dream. Once you reach a point in life where time becomes more important than money one must react before it is too late. Granted money can be an obstacle but something someone should always consider is how much time do I have left to fulfill my dream, time is something money can not buy. And I might as well confess - Greg is right. There is another RWD in the works. After I finished my last project I decided something else I have always wanted is a RWD 6th or 7th Generation Monte and I am going to build one. The thought was to convert my '02 SS which I already own but personal situations got in the way with that car - so I went out a bought a '06 LT which with little effort will be an SS when I am done. I won't butcher the car to achieve the RWD - my plan is to pull the body and put it on a Morrison Chassis with an LS powerplant. Now, the cat is out of the bag. My last project took almost 5 years and I suspect this one will take about 3 or 4. Greg is my greatest fan and I owe him a lot for the wonderful friendship we have succeeded in obtaining. On that note, I am sure Greg will be taking pictures of my progress and be posting them on this forum. I just wish I had more time to spend on this forum. I really enjoy my time spent here with what I think is a great bunch of guys!! Updates to follow in the near future as this build starts to progress.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:16 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015

I can't wait to see this car and the pictures that will be taken. Good luck on your build.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:58 AM

Wow dude, so your gonna be starting a rwd 6th or 7th gen, thats awesome man. I wish u the best of luck.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

I can se where RWD would be desired and I know once finished it's going to be a Headliner on MCF.
I would still rather have a 4th Gen with a Corvette ZR1 conversion. The 4th get was my Introduction to Monte Carlos.
Can't wait to see how this progresses!

Quick Reply: RWD conversion