Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

RWD conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 04:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Or save yourself a ton of money and headache and go out and buy a rwd car and drive that.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:13 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
Or save yourself a ton of money and headache and go out and buy a rwd car and drive that.
Exactly

Old 05-04-2014, 04:44 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well guys here's an update on my RWD conversion - Paul's finally got the car into the shop to measure up for the chassis. They have been working with Morrison Chassis works very closely to get the correct prints to manufacturer the chassis I want. It will probably take the shop every bit of 16 to 24 hours to correctly measure all the dimensions correctly to apply to the prints before submission for the actual build. My guess is Morrison should have the prints back next week sometime and in about 12 - 16 weeks my chassis could be shipped. The chassis will include all front suspension and steering hardware. It will have a fabricated 9" Ford rear axle housing. It will have all the struts and brakes - will be made to accommodate the driveshaft with built in loops, exhaust pipes will have their own routing through the frame. It will set up for 18 x 7's in the front and 18 x 11.50 in the rear. It will also come with Strange axles (I don't know the gear I will use yet - that's to be determined) I have all the SS fascia already to convert the LT to an SS including the SS steering wheel. Tentatively I think the power train will be a Whipple super charged 454 LS9 backed by either a 4L80E or a 4L85E not sure yet. The car will have a full cage just like Greg (Zippy02's) - I am not much into audio so I will probably put my needed gauges on an aluminum plate where the radio is. I am keeping the interior as stock as possible hiding the cage along the body lines on the interior. There won't be a back seat just like my first build - don't need one anyway. My gauges I have already contacted Dakota to build upon my OEM Cluster. My wheels will be 3 piece Forgelines. When the chassis gets here that's when all the fun will begin. Morrison is very detailed in their build instructions and even help us out on where specifically to cut the bottom of the car out an what needs to be cut and where and where additional supports are required to hold the body together during the actual mounting of the body. I am sure Zippy can take some pictures for me just about when the body is hung over the chassis to give everyone an idea where I am at on this build. That's all I have for now - I will update as I progress.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:26 PM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like it will be a sweet build. Can't wait to see when it is done.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:46 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

THIS NEEDS A BUILD THREAD. NOW! hahaha

Old 05-04-2014, 07:09 PM
15 Year Member

The whole bad thing about this build is my inability of doing pictures and my dependency on Zippy02 to do my pictures - I am in Michigan and the car is in Utah by Zippy so even if I knew how to take pictures I couldn't. He has always been so gracious about it - I am sure he will - I just have to wait until it is convenient for him to do and then there will be pictures. Zippy did most all of the pictures in the later half of my first build - I am sure he will help me with this one. He has been real inspirational and has turned out to be a great friend.

Last edited by Monte SSV; 05-04-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Enzo354
THIS NEEDS A BUILD THREAD. NOW! hahaha
I agree.

@Monte SSV - If Zippy/Greg is willing to do the pics for you, then by all means, a dedicated build thread on this awesome project would be outstanding. What you are sharing about an ongoing build is great and deserves it's own thread.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:31 PM
15 Year Member
Default 2nd build

Jason: I guess what we will have to do is wait for the first pictures to come about then post them and start a new build thread at that time. All I have now is pictures of an '06 stock LT Red Monte. Now much of a start. I think when I get the chassis I will get with Greg/Zippy and go from there. In the meantime I will talk to him about taking the pix for me which like I mentioned I am sure he will.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:33 PM
15 Year Member

Leprechaun: I noticed your advise about saving money and just going out and buying a RWD car and drive that. You know that was a consideration but I couldn't find a 2 door car with the style of a Monte and a powertrain to match. I thought about the new Mustangs and the new Challengers and I road tested a Hemi Challenger and I didn't care for it (I never wanted a Corvette or a Camaro) - they are all nice but just don't do anything to excite me. There are those out there that will make me a 1000HP 2 door Cadillac CTSV or even the new Chevy with 1000HP but they are not Monte's. I am stuck on Monte's and have had this dream for years and before I die I want what I have always wanted. And unless GM puts the new LS9 in a rear wheel application which I seriously doubt I am stuck on building my Monte. Believe me your advise is very sound but I just don't see anything out there that I like, so if I can't find what I want - time to be creative and make it like I am.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

cant wait to see your build. It is a cool idea for sure.

Quick Reply: RWD conversion