Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

LS1 RWD Conversion? Anyone else this crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Default LS1 RWD Conversion? Anyone else this crazy?

So I was thinking how it would be possible to make a 00-05 Monte Carlo more fun. Then it hit me how about an LS1 RWD conversion? I know it would be a TON of work and modification but if I had the time and money I would love to do it. Anyone know of anybody? Or think this idea would rock?

Old 05-23-2010, 12:38 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

theres one or two that i know of, check out youtube, he had an acc on here too but i dont think hes been on in a long while

Old 05-23-2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by 04FrostSS
So I was thinking how it would be possible to make a 00-05 Monte Carlo more fun. Then it hit me how about an LS1 RWD conversion? I know it would be a TON of work and modification but if I had the time and money I would love to do it. Anyone know of anybody? Or think this idea would rock?
Being realistic- its probably not going to happen, there are people who come on the various wbody forums all the time talking about how they want to do it, or are going to do it- but when it comes down to it- they never do.

There are a few RWD wbodys out there- a handful of people that actually go through with the conversion- I've seen them use a 3800, a built 3.8 GN engine setup, and various a couple LS engines (and I could've swore I remember seeing a GP with a northstar).

Realistically, that's a lot of time and money. You figure you need a daily driver (obviously you're not going to do the swap in a couple days- its going to take months)- and you don't want to worry about reliability getting to work.

Then you'd need your powertrain (even an LS1 and T56 will easily run a couple grand by itself)- materials, a rear end setup- I mean you can quickly get $10k wrapped up in the setup (plus the cost of a daily driver)- and doing all that to a $3000 car is something most people don't have the heart to follow through with.

Honestly, if you want RWD and an LS1- just pick up a used Camaro or Firebird, its way cheaper and easier- and you could daily drive the thing because its 100% factory reliable.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:04 PM

agreed^^^ the northstar gp i saw was stick but still fwd.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:11 PM

i Luv the LS1 engine i wish the FWD Wbody cars would have all been RWD if i had the MONEY I would try it but where can i find these RWD Wbodys @ on what site???

Old 05-31-2010, 09:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i got a better solution pick up a 1st-4th gen and do it or you better be real good at fab work

Old 05-31-2010, 10:20 PM

i got a better solution pick up a 1st-4th gen
Honestly, I'd think if someone like the style of a 5th/6th gen and wanted RWD- they'd be closer to getting what they want picking up late 90's/early 00's Fbody, or a GTO. From what I've seen- the people who really like the smooth styling of the newer cars, isn't particularly looking for a squared off- older body style car.

Plus, you have the upside of coming with an LS1 or LS2 out of the box.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by teamfbody
i Luv the LS1 engine i wish the FWD Wbody cars would have all been RWD if i had the MONEY I would try it but where can i find these RWD Wbodys @ on what site???
heres the guys name on this forum and on tech that built an ls2 monte rwd. you can try and pm him. i messaged him back and forward about doing this. hes a pretty cool guy. send him a pm.

2000MonteCarloRwd

Old 06-03-2010, 10:54 PM

thanks guys for all the insight, my dad and I own a couple classics (69 Camaro, 66 Chevelle, 73 Corvette, 55 Bel Air, and a 72 Cutlass) I was just seeing if anyone had thought about this and personally took on the challenge.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:04 PM

LS1 RWD Conversion? Anyone else this crazy?
Im that crazy, just not that rich *LOL*
There is, on youtube, somone with a white 6th gen that has rear wheel drive and patheticaly trying to do doughnuts. Makes you wonder why somone would convert, and not have enough power to spin the car around. I mean, if you were gonna do that, why wouldnt you make it fast first? Since they have the money??

Quick Reply: LS1 RWD Conversion? Anyone else this crazy?