Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

RWD conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 02:11 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Rwd

News flash guys - an update - sent my 50% deposit in to Morrision - chassis is now in the works - 16 to 18 weeks 'til completion - I am sure it will take longer - still ironing out steering rack options and a few other details. But I am in line. Updates to follow later..

Old 02-02-2015, 08:34 AM
15 Year Member
Default New update

Ok, here goes - went out to Seattle -checked out the chassis. It is done and should be to Paul's Auto & 4 x 4 very shortly if it is not already there. My tall deck RHS 454 block has been delivered and the reciprocating assembly should also be ordered shortly. Greg (Zippy02) hopefully from our last correspondence should be taking in progress pictures to post pretty soon for me.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:39 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Monte SSV
Ok, here goes - went out to Seattle -checked out the chassis. It is done and should be to Paul's Auto & 4 x 4 very shortly if it is not already there. My tall deck RHS 454 block has been delivered and the reciprocating assembly should also be ordered shortly. Greg (Zippy02) hopefully from our last correspondence should be taking in progress pictures to post pretty soon for me.
Damn you said seattle and got me all excited, thought the car was gonna be built up here :/

Old 02-07-2015, 12:08 PM
15 Year Member

Sorry, Morrison's is in Seattle actually a smaller city close by, called Fife. Not to far from the airport. Flew in was there all morning - they really went out of their way to make me feel at home. Was in just for the day - drove back to the airport and flew to Denver for the weekend before coming back to Michigan. I guess the closest I can get to Seattle again is building the car in Salt Lake.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Monte SSV
Sorry, Morrison's is in Seattle actually a smaller city close by, called Fife. Not to far from the airport. Flew in was there all morning - they really went out of their way to make me feel at home. Was in just for the day - drove back to the airport and flew to Denver for the weekend before coming back to Michigan. I guess the closest I can get to Seattle again is building the car in Salt Lake.
I know where fife is, I live in tacoma (just south) pretty sure I know where Morrisons is. Wish I had known it was getting built here, would have been cool to get a look. But it's nice to know if I ever get a crap ton of money laying around a shop near by has the specs to make a rwd monte frame where do you live in michigan? My sister lives in grand Rapids and I'm planning a trip there. Would be cool to see monte ssv if I get a chance and the rwd conversion when it's done.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:36 PM
15 Year Member

I am about 3 hours southeast from Grand Rapids. GR is the second largest city in Michigan and Detroit is the first - I am about 20 miles northeast of Detroit.

When I was in Seattle, from Fife I went to a client's office at the port of Tacoma when I was there before going back to the airport. Trying to kill 2 birds with one stone. Figured while I was out there might as well make good use of some extra time and try and do some business as well as a little Monte playtime.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'll have to keep Morrisons in mind. I am 36 days away from moving to Kent Wa.. and if all goes well, I will be picking up a 87- 88 Monte SS. I plan on removing the 305, and replacing it with a 350 HP motor and A 6 speed auto Trans. With that configuration, the Monte will need to have the frame re-enforced. It's nice to know that there will be a good shop I can get the frame work done.
As far as My Minion goes, I would like to have an Engine/Tranny combo that gives me 250 whp. I know I can do a top swap and a reprogram for a Turbo. But I've always been a n/a type of guy. I'll have to check out what I can do after my move.
As for the SSV, Wow that is going to be one Hot Monte, I can't wait to see videos of the finished product in Action!

Old 02-11-2015, 11:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Can't wait to start seeing updates of this project. Awesome!

Old 02-12-2015, 08:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default I remember that car

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
GM actually had a 5th gen RWD concept car! It was a bright green one I believe it was before the platform was officially moved to FWD. Under the hood, the strut towers and such looked very 4th gen f-body.
Curious how things would have been for the Monte had GM gone RWD back then....
I remember this car was it sold at an auction about a 1-1/2 to 2 years ago. it was labeled "GM Prototype- not street legal" I wondered what became of it.

Last edited by singrseanr; 02-12-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:23 PM
15 Year Member
Default GM Proto

There is a GM proto type here in SE Michigan and I have seen it at a couple shows. If I remember correctly it was an LS3 adapted sideways to the stock 4T65E that was bolted to the original 3.8L - I think the year of the car was 2000 It is street legal. That is the only Prototype I know of. My cars are not prototypes, were never in any auction and are all street legal.

Quick Reply: RWD conversion