Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Rear struts

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 04:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Yes Dave, they have been in my rear springs for almost 2 years now. I also had this type on my 98 Monte LS and my 86 Firebird. Never had any problems with them. YET! If it wasn't so cold out I would go take a pic so you could see how they are installed. I used 2 per spring, mounting one towards the front and the other towards the rear of the spring. Skipping a coil wind between the 2. I haven't even had any slippage with this configuration. (Knock on Wood) Any other option required welding or some other mod I didn't want to do.
Admittedly JC..
I was pretty abusive on my cars as a kid...
I cut some corners ... like using those expanders...to put more or less the money towards performance parts etc.... Only to discover they didn't hold up.. Ended up buying the proper springs and or air shocks to solve the stance issues...lol
With the way the roads are collapsing/potholes.. (At least in Michigan) Especially during winter temps/salt..things get brittle quick!
Theres no way I would use them and chance breaking springs/mounts/struts..

Good to know to date... There a Non Issue for you.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by P343
Do they rattle or anything? Do they have rubber or anything on the ends?
The only rubber on the strut..
is the top neopreame mount

Old 01-29-2015, 10:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

The spring spacers are exactly as shown in the pic Dave, (Stumpmi) provided. I didn't think about it but Dave does have a point. I am not hard on my Monte, although my Mrs would Strongly Disagree with that statement! Lol
I take turns Tight but not too fast. I save Hard acceleration for exiting toll booths and the fastest I've driven the car is 85 mph. I've been working on restoring this car for almost 3 years. The last time it was in the shop was in Aug, when I had the Trans Rebuilt. That's the longest she has been Road Worthy. I've become more of a Cruising type of guy than a Let's see what she can do type of guy. So i may not be putting the same stresses on the spreaders that he did to cause them or the springs damage. It could also be the way he mounted them. Although knowing what little I do know about Dave, I doubt that. I know that the Spreaders have not moved since I installed them. And there is now noticeable damage to the springs. So my experience with them is different from his.
I would recommend considering his experience. Along with your particular driving style. I don't race my Monte. I avoid as much as possible, the pot holes and cracks in the NJ roads. I've invested more money in the car than it can Ever be worth. And although I don't exactly BABY it, I am in no way rough on her. So my experience with these Rear Coil Spring Spreaders may just be unique. There are other methods of getting the same results. Do some research to find what might be best for you.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

Oh, Sorry Barbara, to answer your other question, if they are installed correctly there should be no rattling or movement of them.
Attached are pics, I forgot I had, one of the old struts and one with the new ones, both with the spreaders installed.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:03 AM
5 Year Member

I thought of those to lift the car up a little...hes replacing them I have to change them,just had a blizzard here...