Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): Lowering Springs Installed - Uneven Height

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Lowering Springs Installed - Uneven Height

I have installed the Canuk Motorsports springs on my stock struts. The right rear is about one inch lower than the left rear. My fronts are dead even. Also, I noticed that the top of the strut in the trunk area on the right side is sitting lower than the one on the left side. Would this have anything to do with the plastic spacer which was only on the right rear? I originally took it out because there wasn't one on the left side but had lots of chatter so I re-installed the plastic spacer which has eliminated some, but not all of the chattering noise. I'm not 100% sure, but it seemed like the car sat even on the back before I re-installed that spacer. I need help figuring out how to fix the noise and getting the rear end leveled out.

I installed camber bolts in the top hole when I put it all back together. The car has not been aligned yet so this may be part of the chatter issue as well.

Last edited by anthony_8606; 01-29-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Anthony..
When you install new springs... It takes a while before they settle in..
Did you do the same to the back as the front and only replace the springs?
If so,
Did you also change out the top mounts?
If not... That could be your problem.. also.. are you sure you put it back together exactly like it was before you took it apart?

Are they lowering springs? or stock?
An alignment will be needed regardless if they are lowering and or stock springs.

Keep us posted on your progress and what the fix was..
That way should other members run into the same problem,
Will have an answer on how to fix it.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member

They are lowering springs. I did the same thing on all 4 except for the right rear. It had a plastic spacer that is about 1 inch thick. I'm thinking that may be compressing the spring more than the others leading to the inch lower on that corner than on the left rear. The top mounts were not replaced, only the springs. It sounds like I may have to replace the 4 top mounts and take that spacer back out. :-/

Old 01-30-2015, 06:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by anthony_8606
They are lowering springs. I did the same thing on all 4 except for the right rear. It had a plastic spacer that is about 1 inch thick. I'm thinking that may be compressing the spring more than the others leading to the inch lower on that corner than on the left rear. The top mounts were not replaced, only the springs. It sounds like I may have to replace the 4 top mounts and take that spacer back out. :-/
Maybe..
Those struts are worn out?
According to the dealer maintenance.. They should be replaced every 40,000 miles.

Theres obviously something that isn't right.