Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Rear struts

Old 01-14-2015, 05:45 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Rear struts

has anyone bought them from 1automotive? I got a couple for the rear and they seem like they sorta sunk..and the car makes alot of banging going on with this car..i know the rear link for swaybar needs replacing...but the car seems like it has loose bolts under there..its not that warm here lately..but it should not bang going over bumps..any problems with these cars and bolts loosening up lol....

Old 01-14-2015, 11:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The banging your hearing, does it sound like your bottoming out, could very well be the upper strut mounting plates. These typically have a limited life and do tend to regularly fail, should always do these when you do the struts. Not to terribly expensive and very easy to install.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member

they were ready struts and was 1 piece...i can feel them bottom out,car seems lower after i put them on,not sure if its the cold or what,the fronts have not sunk...

Old 01-26-2015, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member

they say they will replace the struts for me..not happy with these ones.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Are they stock struts? Or lowering struts/springs?

Did u replace the upper strut mounts? If not...
With new struts and new springs...I would have replaced them for just piece of mind to know its all new.

I made the same mistake....
Bought new mounts and problem solved.

The top of that mount and the whole in the middle should be just barely large enough for the center bolt to fit thru.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:51 AM
5 Year Member

they were complete struts with springs if that what you mean..they come with new mounting plates.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:11 AM

I got Monroe struts off Amazon, just replaced over Christmas, couldn't be happier with them. If you are looking for a different replacement then I would recommend those.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:33 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

When you get Complete Struts you have to check to ensure that the top Strut Plates are tightened to specs. I've put Complete struts on several of my cars and found that although Complete means 1 Piece, it does not mean Torqued to Specs. Best way to tell is for you, or a friend, sit in the back seat while the car is in motion. If it is the Strut plate bolt you will hear the clunking coming from behind the top of the back seat.
As far as the car being lower in the rear, cold should not cause this because the ride height is controlled by the length of the Strut and the size and tension of the spring. As The_Maniac (Jason) asked, did you get OEM struts or Lowering struts? When I was looking for complete struts for my Monte I found that most of the major strut manufacturers showcase the lowering complete struts because they sell the most.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member

I got them from 1automotive..i didn't want lowering ones.but the car looks low in back..

Old 01-27-2015, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member

what sucks is I have to change them myself again...how much were the amazon ones? I have 17'' rims..they have a few diff options..what did you pick? 16"rims?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear struts