Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Problem Under Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Default Problem Under Acceleration

I have a 2000 SS Pacecar w/ 63k miles that I am having a problem with. I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter a few months ago, because I was having a lack of power under accelertion. The problem seemed to go away, but now it has surfaced again. When I go to drive it first thing in the morning it seems like it has no power. I was going up a hill and could not get it to go faster then 5-10 MPH. I had to nurse it to go 50 so I could murge back into traffic. I drove about 5 miles and stopped and shut of off for a few minutes and the problem was gone. It doesn't do it all the time, but it will mainly do it in the morning. There are no codes in the computer at all. I am tried to scan it many times and come up with nothing. I am at a loss because I can't figure it out. I am open to suggestions or anyone else that has had this problem.

Last edited by MARK4648; 07-01-2009 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Added Mileage
Old 07-01-2009, 09:41 PM

low voltage to the pump? was the other pump fried?

Old 07-02-2009, 10:49 AM

What am I looking for when I check for voltage at the pump? Am I looking for volts or ohms? I could not tell for sure if the other pump was bad by looking at it. But when I replaced it the problem went away for a while, so it seems like it would have to be related..... Right? I took the car out this morning after sitting all night and it did the same exact thing this morning. I drove it for 5-6 miles, then shut it off and restarted it. It was no quite as bad power loss but still not great. I went a few more miles and shut the car off. I let is sit about 15 mins this time, then I got back in and it ran fine. Now it is running like there is no problem at all. But most likely tomorrow morning it will do the same thing. Is having low voltage at the pump a fairly common issue on these cars?

Thanks
Mark

Old 07-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Default help ******** 2000 ss pace car 63k no power

Yes, it is still do the same thing no power every morning. Can somebody tell me if I am checking for low voltage at the fuel pump at low rpm how do I do this if I am driving the car when it does it. Today is Friday, did the same thing as every morning but this time it lasted longer into the morning.
Thanks,
Mark

Old 07-03-2009, 11:07 PM

I would check to make sure it isnt your catalytic converter. If it hasnt been replaced and you drive a 2000 there is a good chance thats your problem

Old 07-04-2009, 01:07 PM

Thewhitestcarlounow thanks for getting back to me ,but how do i check for a bad cat-converter. The car is not giving me any codes at this time. But it is definetly running very bad every morning and after it sits for several hours. I have already put a new fuel pump ,fuel fliter and one 02 sensor. The parts that were replaced were do to previous codes given. Also i bought this pace car brand new, therefore i know the full history of the car. It has been a very good running car. Is it possible that it has been a bad cat-converter not the fuel pump that i put in a few mounths ago. I am 63 years old i am old school. The new cars give me a run for my money. Ps the car is doing the same thing before i put in the new fuel pump. Thanks mark help help help please

Old 07-04-2009, 06:35 PM

I had the same problem and tried replacing a number of things including the fuel filter. Monte carlos have a history of problems witht he catalytic converter so I wouldnt be surprised. My car had no lights either but it turned out to be the cat. To test it I would take it to a local shop and have them perform a backpressure test for you. This will tell you how much exhaust is passing through the cat and whether or not it is clogged. Most places charge 15-20 dollars for this. Also if it is clogged it could be possible that GM will either replace it at no cost to you or reimburse you for getting it fixed. I know a bunch of us have had problems with this so hopefully that will help you out and let you know if thats the problem or if you need to keep looking.