Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Vibration under acceleration???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 03:04 AM
Default Vibration under acceleration???

I have an 05 LT with a 3.8. The only modification I've done to it so far is installed a K&N Air Charger Kit, and this was months ago. The car sounds great, like an iron lung upon startup and gave it some extra growl upon acceleration. I have noticed that while driving on the highway at times it seems like it's lacking in power when I'm trying to speed up, it seems like I'm giving it gas and it's not going anywhere. I'm wondering if this has something to do with adding more air into the system and not getting it out of the system fast enough. Is my engine suffocating? If I significantly accelerate the car it jumps into OD and takes off, is the U-Bend in the exhaust causing my problem?? Any advice is helpful, thanks!

Also, does the factory Head Unit in the MC able to read MP3 CDs that are burned as DATA CDs? I know it reads mp3 if they are written on a cdr as a music cd aka CDA format. Please advise. Thanks!!

Old 08-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Default RE: Vibration under acceleration???

Opening up the exhaust will certainly help, the factory systm is way too small for the 3.8L. Check out the DP and high flow cat replacements from ZZP or PFYC. I purchased the ZZP 2.5 DP with the high flow CAT last week that will be here towards the end of the week that should make a huge improvement.

Old 08-20-2006, 03:45 PM

Well I'm going to be getting rid of the U-Bend, but I'm not sure if I want to have the part fabricated or it would just be better to get the U-Bend Delete pipe from PFYC. $75 is a bit steep I think for a small piece of pipe. Anyone know where we can snag this for cheaper? Also will I need to get new hardware aka bolts and donut gasket?

Old 08-20-2006, 03:56 PM

ZZP and Wbody Store has the U-bend part for $40 or less I think...

It will be much cheaper if you find a muffler shop to fab it for you. None of the U-bend delete parts for sale are bolt in and your going to have to take it to a muffler shop anyway to have it welded in.

Old 08-20-2006, 04:02 PM

Wow! Thanks! Now my only questions is do I need it with or without the rear O2 Sensor?

Old 08-20-2006, 04:07 PM

You will want the bungs for the o2 sensor, you can get the o2 simulator if needed from ZZP or Wbody Store.

Old 08-20-2006, 04:24 PM

I would suggest leaving the O2 sensors in.

Old 08-20-2006, 04:25 PM

Maybe I'm just confused, I'm at ZZ Performance, and I found the U-Bend Delete. But it's asking me to pick 1 of 2 options.

WITH the Rear O2 (+$10)

or With OUT the rear O2

I want to use my stock O2 sensor as I haven't modified the Cat, for this to work with my stock O2 sensor, and stock cat, which option should I choose. Sorry if I'm a pain I'm kinda new at this stuff. Thanks!!

Old 08-20-2006, 04:26 PM

You will want the o2 sensor bung.. Without is for offroad use and it will throw a code unless you have the o2 simulator...

Old 08-20-2006, 04:33 PM

Gotcha!

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately I'm trying to place the order on ZZP, but it appears their checkout section is down. LOL just my luck.

I believe this is whats causing the vibration, and the loss of power.

Quick Reply: Vibration under acceleration???