Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): New Rotors - E-Brake not "Grabbing" on

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 08:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks Escobar
I was looking for some reassurance that I was making te right adjustment.
Everyone keeps telling me to check cable but I knew that was not where my issue was.
I appreciate the input, I will adjust it as soon as I have the time, for now I will just avoid parking on a slope.
This will give me a chance to Retorque my bearing bolts anyway.

When you say it should go spin a turn and a half, did you mean it should spin freely and come to rest after that many turns?

Old 07-19-2014, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Henderson21
Thanks Escobar
I was looking for some reassurance that I was making te right adjustment.
Everyone keeps telling me to check cable but I knew that was not where my issue was.
I appreciate the input, I will adjust it as soon as I have the time, for now I will just avoid parking on a slope.
This will give me a chance to Retorque my bearing bolts anyway.

When you say it should go spin a turn and a half, did you mean it should spin freely and come to rest after that many turns?
No problem.

When you adjust the shoe, the shoe moves further out of the center. So adjust it, and once you have the disc back on (some say with the tire back on the hub), you should be able to spin the hub by grabbing the disc or wheel. The hub should stop itself after a full revolution and half of a 2nd revolution, regardless of reasonable force applied to move the wheel. Meaning if you grab the wheel and spin it as if it were a game show wheel (think wheel of fortune), it should only spin 540 degrees... the full disc/tire moves one full round and a half.

If the wheel spins freely, with no force on it at all, then the shoe is loose. The more loose the shoe is, the more easy it is to make the hub spin. Think of it like an RWD car. If you spin the front wheel, it doesn't take much force to make it move and when it does it spins 3 to 5 times depending on force applied since there's nothing holding it. The rear should NOT be like that on your Monte Carlo. There should be a slight amount of pressure felt when spinning the hub.

I hope this helps you out.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks For all The Help everyone, I have made the adjustment iN question and it worked great. My e-brake works better now than it ever has