Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): New Rotors - E-Brake not "Grabbing" on

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 12:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default New Rotors - E-Brake not "Grabbing" on

Hey guys, if any of you have read my recent posts you'll know I have recently installed new rotors all the way around the car, new pads as well.

My first time parking on a hill since installing new brakes, I went to put e-brake on and the car rolled forward until coming to rest on the parking pin, this makes returning to drive quite the task and is really rough on the transmission.

When I lift up the car and engage the E-brake I can't physically move the wheel under my own strength. I know the e-brake is working, just doesn't have a strong enough hold on the new rotor. And I also inspected shoe for wear but there is still lots of life there.

When installing rotors I did see that the actuator for the brake shoe has an adjusting screw. My question to the forum is if I increase the adjustment on the actuator will it give my e-brake more grip or "bite" and actually stop my car from rolling?

Any input would be great guys thanks.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member

In this picture the assembly is shown upside down
#1 is pointing to adjusting screw I'm talking aboit

Old 07-14-2014, 12:26 PM

you have brake pads, not shoes (as in the picture).

there should be a metal braided/twisted cable that connects to each caliper housing. that should be able to be adjusted.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:27 PM

and here you go...

2kMC - 2000MonteCarlo.com

google is an amazing thing, all i search for was monte carlo adjust emergency brake

Old 07-14-2014, 12:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The SHOE (not the pad) might've just slipped off of the adjusting screw, you could check that out first. Same thing happened to me before lol

Old 07-14-2014, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by vikesfan
you have brake pads, not shoes (as in the picture).

there should be a metal braided/twisted cable that connects to each caliper housing. that should be able to be adjusted.
I'm not sure which year your monte is mine is an '05 and has an E-brake shoe, exactly like shown in the picture above. The only difference is that the picture shows the whole assembly upside down.

My calipers are for my disc brakes only. They house my pads that clamp onto rotor. There is no cable or adjustment to be made here. Google can be a wonderful for those who know what they're looking for.

In response to Frank I have ensured that the shoe is still on actuator on both sides. Like I said before the E-brake does stop the wheel from turning, but if I'm on enough of an incline the vehicle will roll.

However after reading your post I'm assuming the adjusting screw on the e-brake actuator is where I increase the pressure on the rotors

Am I right in assuming this?

Last edited by Henderson21; 07-14-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Henderson21
I'm not sure which year your monte is mine is an '05 and has an E-brake shoe, exactly like shown in the picture above. The only difference is that the picture shows the whole assembly upside down.

My calipers are for my disc brakes only. They house my pads that clamp onto rotor. There is no cable or adjustment to be made here. Google can be a wonderful for those who know what they're looking for.

In response to Frank I have ensured that the shoe is still on actuator on both sides. Like I said before the E-brake does stop the wheel from turning, but if I'm on enough of an incline the vehicle will roll.

However after reading your post I'm assuming the adjusting screw on the e-brake actuator is where I increase the pressure on the rotors

Am I right in assuming this?

i stand corrected on the parking "shoe" for the rear brakes, so i apologize for that.

however, the link i gave should be correct for 6th gens and how to adjust the ebrake, do you click the link???

Originally Posted by vikesfan
and here you go...

2kMC - 2000MonteCarlo.com

google is an amazing thing, all i search for was monte carlo adjust emergency brake

and google is still an amazing thing when you search, again, all i search for was "monte carlo adjust emergency brake" and this was one of the first results.

and here is the autozone directions to adjust that screw in the assembly you posted the picture of...

| Repair Guides | Parking Brake | Parking Brake Shoes | AutoZone.com

but from what i have read, the first link i gave you is how you adjust the parking brakes.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member

Thanks VF
I appreciate the help you are giving me.
But I've googled the same thing and many other similar search terms. They all point in the same direction your pointing me
However my issue is not the with cable tension, my e-brake pedal has lots of tension and does NOT go to the floor like in many of the websites I've read.

My issue is with the pressure applied to the rotors, I'm gonna Go ahead and make the adjustment that I originally had asked about. It appears as though The Autozone link you gave me has the full instructions I need to make the adjustment.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Henderson21

There is a adjustment for the parking brake cables..You adjust the shoes then you adjust the cables..

Old 07-17-2014, 04:46 AM

I've been through this before, but with a Grand Am rear disc. If your cables have tension, then check to make sure the e brake shoe is properly seated (They can disconnect when removing the rotor). It should not move around. If they are seated, then adjust the shoe using the #1 piece in the diagram. You should be able to turn the rotor a turn and a half if you spin it and let go. That's how you know the shoe is close enough to the disc.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): New Rotors - E-Brake not "Grabbing" on