Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

New to Board 85 SS

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 10:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
make a motor run Like a scalded Dog!
I just had to say I love it... My old man and some of his friends use quotes like that and "raped ape" and admittedly, some of that has rubbed off on me. But some of the people I've used those lines around just laugh and have NO idea what it means....

Old 05-18-2013, 11:27 PM

i always laugh when i hear raped ape. im sure im also one of those people that has no idea what it means. imagery wise scalded dog makes sense to me, raped ape not so much. still funny as hell though.

also i didnt know there were different names for the different names for different cfm qjets. i thought hey were all spreadbore 700cfm and above carbs. personally ive always referred to them as quadrabogs, but thats just me.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
i always laugh when i hear raped ape. im sure im also one of those people that has no idea what it means. imagery wise scalded dog makes sense to me, raped ape not so much. still funny as hell though.

also i didnt know there were different names for the different names for different cfm qjets. i thought hey were all spreadbore 700cfm and above carbs. personally ive always referred to them as quadrabogs, but thats just me.
Actually Carter made AFB... they were used a lot in the earlier GM model performance cars.... Then Gm Came out with the QuadraJet, And Mopar Came out with the ThermoQuad.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:43 PM

i know carter made the afb. i was talking about the whole thermoquad thing. i thought all the rochester 4bbls were called quadrajets, and that they were all spreadbores that were 700cfm or more.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Default Additional Info

The guy I bought the carb from did not know much about the motor. It is the original motor but they obviously switched the intake and carb. The intake would not have been my first choice but it is what I have for now. The holley double pumper does not have bowls on the front or back which tells me it is likely an early version stock model off a bigger carb. Once I find out what it is, I will rebuild it and sell it. I had already ordered a new carb since I did not get a response immediately since the car is running so bad. I ordered the electric choke 600 cfm square bore edelbrock with vacuum secondaries and edelbrock air filter assembly. If it does not work properly, I have someone who has a free quadrajet they will give me. I know holly's are much easier to tune. I just read a lot about the edelbrocks running well on the older montes. My unle is an ASE certified mechanic and says it will be no problem to hook up an electric choke and the manual ones will be harder to start in cold weather. I am going to replace headers pretty quickly as well and hope to get a dual plane edelbrock intake. Not looking for a speed demon here...just reliable (for right now). When the opportunity presents itself, I will be moving over to a 350. Does anyone recommend direct fit headers that perform well? I will have to replace my whole exhaust system as there are small holes throughout it. I need suggestions on that.

Tomorrow I will be replacing belts, installing carburetor, new power steering pump as it is leaking badly, plugs and wires. Hopefully, it will run a little crisper. Thank you everyone for your input.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jimmy Criswell
The guy I bought the carb from did not know much about the motor. It is the original motor but they obviously switched the intake and carb. The intake would not have been my first choice but it is what I have for now. The holley double pumper does not have bowls on the front or back which tells me it is likely an early version stock model off a bigger carb. Once I find out what it is, I will rebuild it and sell it. I had already ordered a new carb since I did not get a response immediately since the car is running so bad. I ordered the electric choke 600 cfm square bore edelbrock with vacuum secondaries and edelbrock air filter assembly. If it does not work properly, I have someone who has a free quadrajet they will give me. I know holly's are much easier to tune. I just read a lot about the edelbrocks running well on the older montes. My unle is an ASE certified mechanic and says it will be no problem to hook up an electric choke and the manual ones will be harder to start in cold weather. I am going to replace headers pretty quickly as well and hope to get a dual plane edelbrock intake. Not looking for a speed demon here...just reliable (for right now). When the opportunity presents itself, I will be moving over to a 350. Does anyone recommend direct fit headers that perform well? I will have to replace my whole exhaust system as there are small holes throughout it. I need suggestions on that.

Tomorrow I will be replacing belts, installing carburetor, new power steering pump as it is leaking badly, plugs and wires. Hopefully, it will run a little crisper. Thank you everyone for your input.
For headers either Headman or Hooker, and exhaust Flow master or magna flow