Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

New to Board 85 SS

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Default New to Board 85 SS

Hello, my name is Jimmy Criswell and I am new to this forum as I just picked up my Monte Carlo two days ago. Car has 76000 miles on it. I am having the tires replaced today as it sat up for 4 years. Question, I am going to buy the 600 cfm 4 barrel edelbrock that many are recommending and it looks like they have several applications. My question is should I get a manual choke or electric. If you get an electric choke what do you have to hook it up to? I am in the process of going through everything right now and replacing gaskets as it has a massive oil leak in the front of the oil pan. What is the part number that most members are buying. I am really not looking for performance at this time. That will come at a later date as this will be my daily driver for the next several years. I believe I need to get a radiator and water pump as well. Does anyone have any recommendations for a radiator and a part number as well? None of the guages work so I will need to do some research on that one as well. It appears that all of the emissions stuff has been unhooked but not removed so I will remove it but make sure to keep it should I ever decide to get rid of it.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum Jimmy - Sorry I have no answers to your question. Someone more techy will be jumping in here

Old 05-17-2013, 12:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Welcome Jimmy to the best forum on the Planet!

As far as your choke issue... I Think youd be better off going with the Manuel chock set up....

Unless the 88 has a heat riser choke setup... Its should be on top the manifold right next to the carb mounting area(on the passenger side)... It will either be a rod pertrudeing out of it... Or a tube that rises up with a 90 degree bend to attach to the choke...Via a Threaded style nut.

Im not sure that year came with the "Electric" choke setup.

As far as a part number for a pan gasket.... Your local auto parts should be able to remedy that for ya!

Is that the original Motor in it? Or has it been replaced? What size motors in it? How many miles on it?
I believe that year Monte came with a 305 in it.

Dont forget to post some pics!
Where do you Hail from?

Old 05-17-2013, 12:54 PM

It has a an 85 SS 305 in it with 76000 miles. It has a Weiland intake on it and it had a huge holley double pumper which was way to much fuel for this thing. I have the gasket covered. My questions are:

Part number of the edelbrock carb to buy
Best recommendation on radiator
best air cleaner setup with edelbrock that will not interfere with HEI

Old 05-18-2013, 10:07 AM

Welcome to the Forum!

Old 05-18-2013, 10:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome Jimmy.
Sadly, I don't have input on that engine setup. There are not as many 4th gen and older Monte owners on this forum these days, but hopefully one will pop up and provide some input.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:15 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy Criswell
It has a an 85 SS 305 in it with 76000 miles. It has a Weiland intake on it and it had a huge holley double pumper which was way to much fuel for this thing. I have the gasket covered. My questions are:

Part number of the edelbrock carb to buy
Best recommendation on radiator
best air cleaner setup with edelbrock that will not interfere with HEI
Jimmy:
A weiand cross ram doesnt have a stock style choke setup...
Therefor a manual choke is gonna be your best bet. (You didnt mention in your first post that it had an after market intake)...

You may have to do your homework for a Carb from edelbrock..For a 305 Motor... Is the motor stock?...Does it have after market heads? What about the cam shaft? Is it stock or something else?
The 305 was made as an economy motor.... So, that means that if theres been any block work,cam change, head work.... will be the variable in deceideing what carb would best suit your application...

Im guessing it originally had a cast iron intake with a Quadrajet carb (500CFM) stock from the factory...

once again, without the proper info its alsmost impossible to tell you waht would best suit your application to get the most out of it...without over carbing it...
IMO:
Once you know what exactly that Motor has built into it...
I would contact your local Speed Shop or Contact Edelbrock directly
and they should be able to give you the correct information as to what carb would best suit your application.
Hope this helps!

Last edited by STUMPMI; 05-18-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:37 PM

i also thought all the qjets were 700cfms and above? i could be wrong on that. every afb style or qjet carb ive ever seen made the car run like ****. now im not saying these arent great carbs just that i dont think people take time to learn how to tune them(myself included).

Last edited by STUMPMI; 05-18-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:46 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
i also thought all the qjets were 700cfms and above? i could be wrong on that. every afb style or qjet carb ive ever seen made the car run like ****. now im not saying these arent great carbs just that i dont think people take time to learn how to tune them(myself included).
Me personally.... Im one of those guys that can setup(tune) a Q Jet or AFB even the Mopar ThermoQuad to make a motor run Like a scalded Dog!

Q jets and AFB's were 600 CFM's
ThermoQuads were 750 CFM's

When there setup correctly....There all great carbs.!

Old 05-18-2013, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Me personally.... Im one of those guys that can setup(tune) a Q Jet or AFB even the Mopar ThermoQuad to make a motor run Like a scalded Dog!

Q jets and AFB's were 600 CFM's
ThermoQuads were 750 CFM's

When there setup correctly....There all great carbs.!
You are correct Dave Q jets are awesome if set up correctly. I have worked on the old school stuff quite a bit. I still have my 71 442 and my grand lemans in the grave. If I was you jimmy I have Elderbrock crab and I would not run one again. Go buy a 590 to 600 holly you always can change the jet very easy to tune the carb. Go to summit racing and look around plus you can call there tech line for help

Quick Reply: New to Board 85 SS