New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New to the board

Old 03-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Default New to the board

Greetings All.

I'm new to the MCF, but I have been on mymonte for a while so I know some of the people here. Thought I'd introduce myself and my Monte, as I have started lurking around here.

My monte is 2000 Monte Carlo SS and serves as a daily driver.

This winter, she has had a complete drivetrain rebuild.

The bottom end was completely redone:

Crank was machined, the cylinders rehoned and got oversized pistons +rings, new Comp Cams springs, lifters, pushrods and XE 255 HR12 camshaft. The intake and heads was mildly ported and the valve seats were reground. Overall the top end work was minor in prep for a possible Topswap (to come next winter?). The intake system was topped off with a K&N CAI.

Tranny was rebuilt and upgraded as much as possible (don't know all the details) and both driveshafts were replaced with HD L67 style units.

Inside the cabin, I have upgraded the lighting in the cluster, HVac, and switches with LEDs (a la BBEnginering tutorial).

Lastly, I relocated my stock radio to the glovebox (to retain the ability to use the settings functions) and replaced it with Pioneer CD/iPod/USB headunit.

I think that's all for now. I am currently working on some engine dress up and minor exterior touchups.

Cheers,
Mike (aka Dyonysis)

Old 03-29-2010, 06:03 PM

Hey Mike, welcome to the forum. Nice Monty.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:17 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum. Nice LED upgrade to the dash. I miss the red dash lighting my Pontiac had. Some day if I get really ambitious, I would love to change my Monte's dash lighting to red.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:19 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the site! Awesome Monte you have there!

Old 03-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Monte Of The Month - April 2010 & Sep
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum. Nice SS you have

Old 03-29-2010, 10:10 PM

Awesome Monte. About how much did that LED interior upgrade run you? i'd like to do the same thing.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Heyy! Welcome to the forum! Nice monte =D

Old 03-29-2010, 10:16 PM

i like the lights. welcome to the forum.

sweet rebuild, how many miles???

Old 03-29-2010, 11:03 PM
Default welcome

Welcome to the forum........
You have a nice MC SS. Love the instrument lighting...

Old 03-30-2010, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone. The rebuild was done at 230,000km after my engine spun a bearing. There was no other damage (in fact the machine shop said everything was in such good condition they would never have believed the mileage). We just wanted to tighten everything up while we had it apart rather than just throw bearings and seals at it.

As for the LEDs, the upgrade cost me about $15. Bought the bulbs off EBay (vendor called FCB I believe) and did all the desoldering/soldering myself. Its not too hard and requires no special tools. Just LEDs, resistors and patience. The toughest past is the HVac circuit board because it is more of a cardboard-ish backing and its easier to damage the traces. I followed the tutorial by BBEngineering for the cluster, the rest I figured out as I went. More than willing to help others if they have questions.

I should have pointed out the LEDs are not as purple as they appear in the pic, they are more of a dark blue. The stock guage overlay is slightly blue, and white LEDs give you a light blue while blue LEDs give a dark blue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to the board