Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Monte Carlo issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 04:55 AM
Default Monte Carlo issues

Hey all im a newbie here. I havent been able to get some accurate help on the issues with my Mote Carlo Ls. its the 1997 with the 3.1l automatic.Well let me do a bit of a history on the car. Im the 3rd owner of it. THe first owner gave it to his brother after he had the engine and transmission rebuilt. Well what happend was is the oil pump failed and the engine lost oil pressure and went kaput. So the owner went to a shop and had both the engine and transmission replaced with the same year and model. They dropped everything through the bottom of the car. Then put it all back in. The previus owner drove it around for about 6 months or so.(didnt change oil during this time) So he sold it when he had to put young kids in the back with a bad back. I bought it for 900(tired to make him go to 850,he wouldnt) The car is very sound. But theres a few issues i have with it. Like i have an ABS light that has come one and went off when i added brake fluid. But now its back again(badr relay/noid?). Even tho i changed the oil my change oil light is still on. SO i think ill change it again with my Marvel Mystery oil into it.I have sevral codes that are all emmisions related. As well as my add coolant light(but i cant find any leaks as of now. but if there is perhaps lower hose or headgasket?) I have a vaucme leake at my pcv valve but im going to get the boot for it.the codes i have are(i dont know the numbers but ill list what i remember)Cataylst Ineficant Flow(P0440)EGR Valve insufienct flowCan anyone help me? i really would like to get my car on the road before march

Old 01-18-2009, 05:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Monte Carlo issues

The ABS could be several things, but start by checking the fluid level again. You SHOULDN'T have to add fluid to a brake system. These new systems have fluid level sensors in the reservoirs, which typically tell you that you are in need of a brake job. Could be and probably is a wheel sensor in the hub, as they go bad. You have to replace the whole hub, and they aren't cheap. Keep an eye on the fluid level, and if adding a little fluid helps, that'sOK, just make sure you don't have any leaks somewhere.

The "change oil light" won't go off by itself. You have to manually reset it. Check your owners manual for instructions how, but you probably turn the key to the on position without starting the engine, and push the gas pedal to the floor 3x. Turn the key off, and start the car. It should be reset.

The P0440 is probably a dirty or bad gas filler cap seal. Clean off the seal on the fill neck and the same on the cap, and MAKE SURE that it clicks at LEAST 3x when you put it on. I'm struggling with that code myself, and will probably get a new gas cap if it doesn't stop.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:26 PM

I changed the cap. But when i went to unbury my car i found something awesome. I have a blown headgasket or something. The oil is the color of chocolate milk and i have low coolant again. So it its a gasket. Oh and a dead battery too.

fun fun what winter does to your car.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:14 AM

is the 3400 compatable with my transmission? if so i may just get rid of that pos and drop that in.