Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2002 Monte Carlo SS RPM / Reverse Staling issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 04:12 PM
Default 2002 Monte Carlo SS RPM / Reverse Staling issues

I just cleaned my Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor and still get some problems with varying RPMs. Going in reverse tends to be jerky and can sometimes lead to a stall.

So to be a little more detailed and easier to understand, i uploaded a video on youtube to better describe my problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1aL2h5nKTg

Any ideas?

Old 02-20-2011, 07:06 AM

does it ever do it in drive? it could be the map sensor going bad or the idle air control vavle failing, or possibly a vac line. hopefully it is not trans related.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:32 AM

When the problem first started, you could feel the car buck when going down the road, but you'd also see the RPMs jump around by a few hundred, and you'd see the speedo vary greatly. The best time to see it happen is over a rough bit of road.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:16 AM

sounds like a vac line or map sensor. start your car, open the hood and listen for any hissing- which would of course indicate a vac line. i am guessing it is a bad map sensor- but it should be throwing a p0171 code!?!?! when i rebuilt by engine, i couldnt figure out why it was running so rough turns out i forgot to plug in the map sensor- it was doing exactly what you are describing.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:08 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Looks like you have the same problem I cant fix. I think Ive replaced everything :/ MAF, rear o2, thermostat, vac lines, been smoked for leaks. Took it to mechanics, they say its the maf which i just replaced. If either of us find a solution we should post it up.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Enzo354
Looks like you have the same problem I cant fix. I think Ive replaced everything :/ MAF, rear o2, thermostat, vac lines, been smoked for leaks. Took it to mechanics, they say its the maf which i just replaced. If either of us find a solution we should post it up.
would be nice to fix it!

When I first got the Check Engine Light, i took it to Advance Auto Parts and they gave me the readoning of the bad coolant temp sensor. i bought the sensor since it was only 12 bucks, but have yet to replace it, because i don't have a garage, and i live in New England and it's freaking cold and snowy!

But the CEL also stopped being on, you'd figure it would stay on if it was truly broken, right?

When i posted this topic, the temperature outside was a freakish 60 degrees out.

So yesterday, it dropped back down into the teens and i was having the same issues again with the bucking in drive, not holding the cruise, speedo waving around like crazy, and tach varying when it bucks. I went over to Autozone and they scanned it and were at least able to give me 3 different error codes:

How long have you been having this issue? Mine started back in early November. I'm wondering if this issue is related to outside cold weather. Have you tried replacing the PCM itself? if all these issues have yet to be resolved by replacing everything else, maybe its that? With error 300 being misfiring, maybe it's a timing issue? i've got 109K on my odometer, but haven't had the money to do my 100K tune-up. new plugs, timing chain, etc...