Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Just bought an 01 Monte Carlo SS, having some stalling issues, Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 06:16 AM

*Update*

So I had my car looked at and repaired yesterday. After some diagnostics, It seems as if the MAF sensor was fine the whole time.

I had a broken PCV that was sucking air that went undetected during my spraying with carb cleaner test for a vacuum leak. I also had a bad o2 sensor. He replaced the o2 sensor and the PCV which completely solved my stalling issue.

The mechanic noticed that the plugs that were installed were replaced fairly recently so I am going to wait to replace the plugs.

But I will take Dj_bosse's advice when I do change them, I was focused on trying to get around the engine, I didn't even think about moving the engine. I have access to a gantry with a small crane for moving granite stones off of a flatbed semi, I could just unhook the motor and lift it up a bit to change the rear plugs.

I did my test drive about 1:30 AM after I got home from work. Everything seemed to run very smoothly. The RPM flutter is completely gone, didn't hesitate or act weird, and didn't stall or even try to once under the same conditions it would previously act up.

However, I noticed on my post repair test drive that when I let off the gas the headlights, gauge lights, and door lights very slightly "flicker" between dim and back to normal. However, when I am pressing on the gas they don't do this, and stay normal consistently. It is almost unnoticeable but I caught it because I was looking, and listening, and trying to pay attention to everything on the test drive. It is only a very slight change. Is this a sign that my alternator may be close to being on its last legs?

I'm just wondering if this is an early sign, because when the alternator in my van died it was kind of sudden power locks started going crazy, headlights went crazy, then the van and power cut off and died abruptly.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:19 AM

By the way Thank You everyone for your, help, advice, and suggestions. It has really helped a lot, this seems like a very nice community here.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:23 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Congrats on getting the problem fixed and thank you for posting an update.
By posting updates you could possibly help someone out who might experience the same problems you were having!!!