Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Just bought an 01 Monte Carlo SS, having some stalling issues, Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 11:23 AM

So, my car stalled out again yesterday. Same conditions, this time my CEL came back on. I took it to advance auto a little bit ago and it says Mass Airflow sensor intermittent. He also said something about it reported a low voltage. He said he was pretty sure its a wiring issue. Does this sound accurate?

Old 07-27-2015, 04:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I did not catch with MAF you used, but there is a lot of value in getting an AC Delco replacement MAF (if you haven't already).

As far as wiring, requires getting the shop book diagnostics. I won't be able to get that data until this weekend. But those diags would have you check the wiring with a volt meter and that would tell you more exactly what is going on.

Before replacing the connector or the MAF, I recommend getting the shop diagnostics and going through them.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:21 AM

I already replaced the original with a new Cardone MAF early last week before I posted this thread. The person I bought the car from told me the MAF was going bad, so when the car started acting up that was the first thing I tried. I specifically asked for an AC Delco MAF but both Advance auto parts, and Auto zone told me they don't stock them.

I bought this MAF sensor...
Dorman - TECHoice Mass Air Flow Sensor - Sensor Only 917-820: Advance Auto Parts

The only reason I bought and replaced the original with this one last week is because it is the only one available locally that is brand new (I didnt want a remanufactured one.) as I thought I needed it right then and it came with a free replacement warranty.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

go on rockauto.com they have all the parts you might ever need

Old 07-28-2015, 04:36 PM

I also recently bought an 01 SS. It was running rough also and struggled up inclines and idled erratically . I went to autozone and they scanned it. It showed low voltage on the MAF, bank 1 O2 sensor, and MAP, and also misfire on #6. I cleaned my MAF and still ran the same. Last night I checked plug 3 and these are a brand new set. So I pulled #6 which isn't a lot of fun. When the got it out the insulator on the plug was cracked. This is easy to do based on it being tough to remove . I put a new plug in it and is running like a champ , all codes have cleared. Check all the plugs.

Last edited by Sammy4487; 07-28-2015 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Misspelled
Old 07-28-2015, 08:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow, a lot of good advice here. I was going to put my 2 cents in but it looks like the whole dollar has been covered. I agree with all that has been said, especially about the Spark Plugs.
Welcome to MCF, and good luck with your Monte!

Old 07-29-2015, 06:55 PM

I had stall problems and replaced iac. Turns out it had been damaged by melted part of my uim. When I had a clogged cat, the recirculated air from the egr must have fried it. I agree about the spark plugs. I have had 3 3800's over 100000, plugs always helped

Old 07-29-2015, 06:57 PM

Did you pull the throttle body and check the uim?

Old 07-30-2015, 01:06 PM

Thank you guys for your feedback, suggestions, and help. I have tried most of your suggestions, and the car is still stalling. It is also still throwing the p0101 code for the mass airflow sensor. I have made an appointment at a local service center to get it looked at and hopefully fixed. While its in there I'm going to have them change the remaining 3 plugs, as I can not get to my back plugs, and I'm going to have them change the belt for me. I have been holding out changing the IAC because it still has not thrown a code for it yet, but I will take the old one out to look for damage, if something looks wrong I'll change it, otherwise I'm not really sure what to do so I'll see if they can figure it out. I'll post another update after I get my car back.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:33 PM

You could easily change those back three plugs yourself; theres no reason you should pay for it. I did mine a couple weeks ago because i was having the same issues you described. Turned out one of my plugs was the original and i had 210,000 miles. But if you loosen the engine mounts and use a ratchet strap to tilt the motor forward a little it makes it so you have plenty of room.

Last edited by Dj_bosse; 07-30-2015 at 09:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Just bought an 01 Monte Carlo SS, having some stalling issues, Need help.