Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th Gen ('95-'99): Shifter issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 09:17 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Shifter issues

I have a 98 Monte Z34.
The other day,the shifter would not come out of park. It seems the shifter handle (fake wood,held in place with three 2.5 Allen metric screws hidden by a brass cap that unscrews) is part of the problem. The rest is the actuator rod isn't coming back up,which I suspect is the inside pieces of the **** causing this-a spring and a thin plastic strip inside the button area. I would like to know what the shifter **** looks like in other 5th gen MC's and what suitable replacements can I use?

Old 07-30-2015, 08:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

A fake wood shifter handle? That sounds like some kind of aftermarket handle. No 5th-gen shifter handles came with fake wood on them, not even on the LS (as far as I know).

Were you ever able to get it out of Park? If so, does it shift normally between the other gears? On my previous car, a worn-out brake-pedal sensor was to blame for difficulty in moving the shifter out of Park; a new sensor fixed that problem right away. Could be something else to look at.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There should be a "U" shaped clip on the backside of the shift **** (which should not be woodgrain, unless aftermarket) just take the **** off and beat the shifter with your foot on the brake if you're in a pinch

Old 08-01-2015, 04:11 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Sidestreet
A fake wood shifter handle? That sounds like some kind of aftermarket handle. No 5th-gen shifter handles came with fake wood on them, not even on the LS (as far as I know).

Were you ever able to get it out of Park? If so, does it shift normally between the other gears? On my previous car, a worn-out brake-pedal sensor was to blame for difficulty in moving the shifter out of Park; a new sensor fixed that problem right away. Could be something else to look at.
I loosened the handle,and pushed down on the shifter k n o b and got it out of park.
I agree with your assessment on the brake pedal sensor. Where is it located and is it easily accessible?

Old 08-01-2015, 04:14 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
There should be a "U" shaped clip on the backside of the shift **** (which should not be woodgrain, unless aftermarket) just take the **** off and beat the shifter with your foot on the brake if you're in a pinch
No u-clip aka thick staple and its most likely aftermarket.

I'm thinking the solenoid (black cylinder with rod and white clip that attaches to shifter mechanism) is to blame,but I'll try the sensor first.