Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

how do I remove rear Cigarette lighter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default how do I remove rear Cigarette lighter?

Hi, I'm new here. I have a 2002 Monte SS, a few weeks ago my sister accidentally kicked my Sirius radio plug I had plugged in the rear cigarette lighter and both the front and rear lighters went out. Checked the fuses, they are all fine, checked the lighters and no power is gettng to either them. I had been told by a few people to check the wiring it may have come loose, or the lighte ritself is bad.I can not figure out how to remove the lighter. I removed the ashtray and can see the back of the lighter but can not for the life of me figure out how it can be removed and I don't want to damage the console.
Thanks,
-Dan

Old 01-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Default RE: how do I remove rear Cigarette lighter?

Dan ,
this is going to sound really crazy for ya. i knwo ya say you check all of the fuses but did you check all of them on the pass. side of the car also?

but to answer your question.
sit in the drivers seat. clean out the front cubby hole on the top of the center counil and remove the rubber mat that is ont eh bottom of it.
there are two or three screws in there. take them out.
then on the shiffter handel its self pull the boot down.
put the clip that holds the shift handel on out and remove handel .
then with a steady presure pulling motion grab the top of the council and pull up wards to you.
BE VERY CAREFUL !!!! most of the time the front will com up first or the back will and it will try to bind and break the other end ont he thin parts arougn the handel if you do it to fast it could actually break it.
but once you get it off you will look down in to the councial and you can take the rear cubby out (under the arm rest)
once agian take everythign out and remove the rubber mat in the bottom. then take out the screws in there. and it will come up for ya.
then the lighter is right in there easy to get to the back side of it.

Good luck and if you think of it please take some photos and post them here so others can look at them to.

Old 01-06-2007, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mickey, You are officially my new hero! I knew their were fuses on the drivers side, and under the hood, but never riding in the passenger side,I never knew there were fuses was there also! The Aux. Power AND the Cigarette lighter fuses were both blown! That's all it was...Thank you very much!

Old 01-06-2007, 04:09 PM

Mickey, how the hell do you know all this stuff???

Old 01-07-2007, 06:45 AM

LOL i have had my car for three years and i have pretty much tore it completely apart and put it back togeather 5-10 times LOL

Also i grew up chewing on wrenches so i guess i have been doing it for so long it is finally starting to look like im not just a punk kid tha thtinks he knows.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Revitupfaster

Mickey, how the hell do you know all this stuff???
You can also find out tons of stuff if you read the manual cover to cover. It's amazing the little bits of info you will find.