Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2004 Rear Defroster

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 12:50 AM
Default 2004 Rear Defroster

My 2004 SS rear defroster has never defogged or defrosted completely. It will show some progress on the situation back there, but never to my vision satisfaction. The dealer has done everything including changing the back glass and they are just saying that it is operating fine. Anyone else notice it doesn't defog or defrost the way you think it should?

Old 12-28-2006, 01:11 AM
Default RE: 2004 Rear Defroster

I had to solder my connection again because it broke off.

I think there's 2 connections. Might want to check them both and make sure they're 100% connected.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:31 AM

might try taking a meter and measuring voltage drop across the defroster. hold the leads to the connections on the glass rather than the terminals connecting to the glass if possible. if you dont have atleast 12v you could have a poor connection or some other sort of resistance in the circuit.

low voltage is the most likely problem, i would think, of one that works, but works poorly.

how long do you wait for it to defog? do other windows fog unusually easy? is there anything that could possibly interfere with its operation? window tint? air leak? carpets wet, moldy smell, any source of moisture inside car? ever had any other problems with the car that could possibly be related at all?

Old 12-28-2006, 03:59 AM

You know...I have all the same problems you do. I had to put mine back on too. I took it to a glass place and he used some metal glue stuff. It was really cool stuff, I wanted some. Not sure what I'd use it for, but it would just be nice to have some.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:45 AM

I'm noticing a lot of people here have the same problems as many others.

Another thing I had a problem with is the car was running almost like it had a misfire. Turns out it was the Catalytic converter. And it's covered in full by GM since it's never supposed to go bad.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: 2000LS

might try taking a meter and measuring voltage drop across the defroster. hold the leads to the connections on the glass rather than the terminals connecting to the glass if possible. if you dont have atleast 12v you could have a poor connection or some other sort of resistance in the circuit.

low voltage is the most likely problem, i would think, of one that works, but works poorly.

how long do you wait for it to defog? do other windows fog unusually easy? is there anything that could possibly interfere with its operation? window tint? air leak? carpets wet, moldy smell, any source of moisture inside car? ever had any other problems with the car that could possibly be related at all?
She has new glass. They made sure the leads on the glass are perfect. The voltage is good. I can drive 40 minutes and have it never fully defog near the bottom of the glass. The other windows do not fog easy. I can't see anything in the way of its operation, no tint or junk in the back seat, the glass is clean. Every other part of the car works just fine. I was wondering if maybe this is just a design flaw that everyone with this car lives with.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i've read about this a lot lately, so it must be happening on a lot of the monte's, but i dont have any problem with mine defrosting....works perfectly, now at the very bottom it doesn't get that part until the entire car warms up, but i have a 2 min drive to work every day, and my back window is generally defrosted in that 2 min depending on how bad it is

Old 12-28-2006, 04:41 PM

i have yet to have this problem but i have window tint and doing well

Old 01-06-2007, 04:12 PM

I finally got some time to get out my multimeter and see what is going on back there.
Everything looks fine to me. Gets plenty of volts ~12.5VDCand was using~28 amps DC, yes I broke the circuit and put my meter in. The resistance of the glass itself wasn't bad or open loop, ~.5 ohms.

Still works like garbage though. I believe the dealer has done everything they can.

I'm just going to add this to the pile of GM design flaws.[:'(]

Old 01-06-2007, 04:31 PM

hmmm... well seems as though u and your dealer have been pretty thurough, only thing i have left to fix that particular problem is the heatedgaragemod... my parents did it to thier cars and havent had any problems.

Quick Reply: 2004 Rear Defroster